NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Laying Flat on MRI Table (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/185141-laying-flat-mri-table.html)

MiaVita2012 03-08-2013 09:49 PM

Laying Flat on MRI Table

I am trying to figure out why every time I get a MRI I hurt and have a thumping or heart beat in my left ear?It could be my jaw,my neck,or my brain.Anyone else had this experience....It is not a tinnitus sound It is only when I have to lay flat on hard surface and not move....:confused:

SmilinEyesMs305 03-09-2013 07:19 AM

I can't explain it, but if I am bent over, I have the same thing happen.

It's never caused me any problems, but I know it can be annoying.

Just another fun neurological mystery haha

Brain patch 03-09-2013 11:09 AM

Muscle spasms

Mia,
Do you think you could be having muscle spasms? I have a hurt back and I cannot lie down flat without having them. When I had my MRI I was having muscle spasms too. They had to give me extra medication so I could hold still enough for them to do the MRI. Or is it something else? Anxiety perhaps? That can cause a heartbeat sound in your ear. Sorry you had to endure that.
How is the treatment plan coming along?
Much love,
Brain :hug:

MiaVita2012 03-09-2013 11:14 AM

I did have muscle spasms severe with panic from anxiety and PTSD and that is what the valium is for....I do not have muscle spasms at all anymore and my Pristiq helps anxiety,panic, amongst depression...I think it is my neck or Jaw making this happen.It is no where as bad as it was a year ago thank a higher power:hug:My treatment plan we are working on these last pieces of puzzle....#1 is this jaw,I am still in vestibular therapy and the cognitive will come after the jaw from my understanding....who knows every MRI is something new lol....thanks for asking Brain;)

peacheysncream 03-09-2013 12:33 PM

It could just be that you become more aware of your heartbeat. But also lying flat changes yr blood pressure and it may become higher when in a stressful sit. like an MRI. Therefore creating more pressurised blood flow around yr head.

sospan 03-10-2013 05:01 AM

Could be the restraining collar / pads that are pressing on a nerve or blood vessel ?

When I have an MRI or get placed in a neck brace - I get a pain in my lower back that isn't present normally. The only thing I guess is that the brace changes the alignment of something and that causes the pain.

MiaVita2012 03-10-2013 11:27 PM

Now that I think about it...I think it might be the vestibular because after I was really dizzy for a little bit before getting off table and felt nausea.hmmmm