NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Alcoholism, Addiction and Recovery (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/)
-   -   Alcohol blackout! (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/185287-alcohol-blackout.html)

DavidT87 03-12-2013 02:23 AM

Alcohol blackout!

So I just came across this site and decided to give it a shot.
I'm 26 I'm engaged we have 3 kids and a house.
Now to my problem......we recently went on vacation without the kids. We went to a club and drank quit a bit. I have always had problems with flipping out while drunk but this last time I blacked out after some guy and his friends were grabbing on my fiance and she yelled for my help. I ran twords her and got the guys off her but they then jumped on my and kicked me about 30 times each. After receiving the first kick to the head I completely black Med out. I don't remember anything after that. My fiance tells me when these 8 guys heard the cops coming they took off. When the cops got there u was very violent and ignorant to them. But to her I was a sweetheart. Bottom line I think I have a problem. I want to quit drinking and she says she will quit with me but at the same time I love drinking!!! Now I'm willing to try to stop its not worth my fiance and our family I love them more than anything. Any advice???

Icehouse 03-12-2013 06:39 AM

Well, I think you answered your own question. If you think you need to quit, then give it a shot cold turkey. Both of you. Give all the bottles in the house to friends, or dump them, and buy a bunch of soda.

Can you go 1 week? 2 weeks? Three?

If that proves difficult or impossible then consider a group like AA or Celebrate Recovery. These groups are proven to help those with drinking issues and to help you understand what alcohol can do to ones body and thinking.

Sobriety is not hard to do, its just hard to accept.

Now, I am not on a soap box here, I lost everything. My job, my wife, my kids, and I put myself in a wheelchair. Then I lost my car(s), my money, my license and spent 3 months in jail.

Do not what I did. I am now 587 days sober and I have my license, car, job, and my legs back. Still looking for another wife :)

I love to drink too, did it for 20+ years. But, it aint for me anymore. Bummer for sure, but its my reality.

Anyway, give it a shot and let us know daily how it pans out.

DavidT87 03-12-2013 12:09 PM

ll thank you for your response. That's what I'm Afraid of is losing her and my kids. So far so good on not drinking. Honestly I haven't evern craved a beer. I normally crave a drink daily.

Icehouse 03-15-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidT87 (Post 965153)
ll thank you for your response. That's what I'm Afraid of is losing her and my kids. So far so good on not drinking. Honestly I haven't evern craved a beer. I normally crave a drink daily.

How ya doing?

cindylou_38 04-03-2013 05:06 PM

Good luck one day at a time. Dont ever quit for some one else. You must do this for you.:grouphug:

Packer backer 04-05-2013 07:54 PM

It's easy to quit drinking but its hard. I personally like AA. It's nice to know that the only requirement for AA is a desire to stop,drinking that's it. And another nice thing is you only have to listen to what works for you. If you dont like what is being said at times delete It out of your hard drive.:)

cindylou_38 04-06-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packer backer (Post 972376)
It's easy to quit drinking but its hard. I personally like AA. It's nice to know that the only requirement for AA is a desire to stop,drinking that's it. And another nice thing is you only have to listen to what works for you. If you dont like what is being said at times delete It out of your hard drive.:)

I owe my life to AA.:grouphug:

Packer backer 04-06-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindylou_38 (Post 972639)
I owe my life to AA.:grouphug:

I know what you meen Cindy. It's nice to have a place to pick you up after you bottomed out on the concrete floor.

Icehouse 04-07-2013 05:47 PM

“hitting rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life”. - J.K. Rowling

Something I quote often.

;)

Leesa 04-07-2013 08:20 PM

i'm like the rest of you -- I owe me life LITERALLY to AA. I would be dead now if it wasn't for them. In July, God willing, I'll have 20 years sober. :winky: It wouldn't have been possible without AA, people like you, and my Higher Power.

David, I hope you make it. Don't do it for your wife, kids, or anyone else. Do it for YOU. :) I don't want you to be a statistic and die. :( Alcohol KILLS

Wishing everyone a sober day tomorrow! God bless. Hugs, Lee :D :hug: