NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Medications, what else can I try, and what "opiates" work well for you? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/185321-medications-else-try-opiates.html)

CRPSsongbird 03-12-2013 03:35 PM

Medications, what else can I try, and what "opiates" work well for you?

Ok so heres a list of medications I've tried.

Gabapentin/Neurontin ----Severe Fatigue even after 3-4weeks

Lyrica----- Extreme vomiting nausea constipation (tmi i know)

Cymbalta-----Extreme itchiness, major bright red rash (Anaphylaxis)

Amitriptyline---no effect on pain other than helping to STAY asleep (not fall asleep)

Nortriptyline-----same as amitriptyline

Tramadol---- only works when not have too big a prob with pain

Oxycodone----A bit better than the tramadol but ineffective when having major flare ups

I have a quick doc appt today @ 2:30pm I need to talk to the Dr about medications as I am in serious pain again this week....I'm struggling just to get by....

CRPSsongbird 03-12-2013 03:50 PM

I am seriously getting fed up with all this crap......grr

reluctant@thetable 03-12-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRPSsongbird (Post 965233)
I am seriously getting fed up with all this crap......grr

I wish I could help but you've listed most of my medications. You've probably used this as well- I find that if an area is particularly painful I apply a lidocaine gel patches to the area and it gives some relief. What keeps me going is that warmer weather may be on the horizon. I hope that gives you a "wee bit" of encouragement.

CRPSsongbird 03-12-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reluctant@thetable (Post 965260)
I wish I could help but you've listed most of my medications. You've probably used this as well- I find that if an area is particularly painful I apply a lidocaine gel patches to the area and it gives some relief. What keeps me going is that warmer weather may be on the horizon. I hope that gives you a "wee bit" of encouragement.

Yup I forgot I use those too lol! But I'm out and cant afford more right now :(

CRPSsongbird 03-12-2013 05:47 PM

Also, on another note I'm pretty sure it's CRPS and not just prolonged nerve damage. My arm has started to turn bright red off and on :( that is of course during massive flare ups....

CRPSsongbird 03-12-2013 06:31 PM

New meds....

So he's upped my oxycodone, dose to 10mgs and wants me to try VALIUM? For a muscle relaxant. We'll see how it goes......

reluctant@thetable 03-12-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRPSsongbird (Post 965276)
So he's upped my oxycodone, dose to 10mgs and wants me to try VALIUM? For a muscle relaxant. We'll see how it goes......

I hope this brings you relief! You deserve it.

Morgan Herritage 03-13-2013 11:59 AM

Have you tried therapy? It's a big help for those of us who have had our lives suddenly changed by things such as chronic pain. Some ppl cope and handle stress better than others. A good therapist should help you out a lot because medication is only a small part of the process.

LIT LOVE 03-13-2013 02:06 PM

There are many different pain meds, and you have to work with your doc to figure out the best combo for YOU. It can take years to figure it out.

Generally the best idea is to start with a low dose Extended Release opiate. Dosages and amounts are steadily increased until you get to a level where you're at your highest level of function--where the side effects of the meds such as drowsiness don't make you sleep too much for example.

Then, an Immediate Release opiate can be added in to help with pain spikes.

You must work with a doc that is experienced with RSD and or severe pain patients. To do otherwise could be dangerous. It's a good idea to find a pharmacist that will pay attention to your RXs, and will refuse to fill if they're written wrong or if it would be dangerous to take as prescribed. Docs are human and make mistakes!

CRPSsongbird 03-13-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Herritage (Post 965464)
Have you tried therapy? It's a big help for those of us who have had our lives suddenly changed by things such as chronic pain. Some ppl cope and handle stress better than others. A good therapist should help you out a lot because medication is only a small part of the process.

I am seeing a Psychologist, who does bio-feedback and Hypnotherapy. It does help a LOT. It's just for some reason the last few weeks my arm has been getting worse. Believe me I didn't WANT to be on opiates for a long length of time, I have issues with constipation. But I'm kind of afraid it's progressing. Even with the therapy, physical therapy, and other medications that we have tried. Unfortunately I'm pretty much down to opiates for the pain relief because of all my reactions to the other meds...... it was a last ditch resort. But, I seriously couldn't handle the level of pain it had gotten to. I had been trying self-hypnosis and Epsom baths and everything before calling my doc's office who then told me to go to er......I hate the ER. lol