NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Tooth Extraction and shifted tooth? (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/185363-tooth-extraction-shifted-tooth.html)

kim722 03-13-2013 01:21 PM

Tooth Extraction and shifted tooth?

Hi everyone - I'm new and had a question concerning a tooth I just had removed. It was tooth number 30 which was extracted. The problem I am having now is that the tooth in front of it, number 29 seems to have moved and now feels like it is in the way of my tongue. It seems to have shifted towards the inside of my mouth, I even feel like it is more difficult to speak clearly. I just had the tooth removed last Thursday, so it hasn't been a week yet, but my question is, will my other tooth go back to the proper position or is this just something I need to get used to? Also, will a fake tooth help this problem? I'm not looking at an implant, but maybe something that just snaps in.

I would appreciate any help that can be provided as this is kind of driving me nuts :) Thanks!

Bryanna 03-13-2013 09:31 PM

Hi Kim,

The premolar #29 may have moved a bit. But more than likely what is happening has more to do with your tongue. The tongue is a muscle and our teeth keep it in a certain position. When a tooth is removed, the tongue can find that empty spot and kind of get lazy in that area and feel like it's hitting the adjacent teeth. Usually this does not occur too severely when just one tooth is removed and the feeling usually subsides. If you replace #30 with an implant or a bridge or a nesbit (small removable appliance), that would take care of the tongue situation.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim722 (Post 965482)
Hi everyone - I'm new and had a question concerning a tooth I just had removed. It was tooth number 30 which was extracted. The problem I am having now is that the tooth in front of it, number 29 seems to have moved and now feels like it is in the way of my tongue. It seems to have shifted towards the inside of my mouth, I even feel like it is more difficult to speak clearly. I just had the tooth removed last Thursday, so it hasn't been a week yet, but my question is, will my other tooth go back to the proper position or is this just something I need to get used to? Also, will a fake tooth help this problem? I'm not looking at an implant, but maybe something that just snaps in.

I would appreciate any help that can be provided as this is kind of driving me nuts :) Thanks!

kim722 03-14-2013 07:18 AM

Hi Bryanna,

That makes alot of sense! I didn't even think of that, thank you so much. I think I will look into a replacement if I don't get used to it. Again, thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Kim

Bryanna 03-14-2013 10:38 AM

Kim you are very welcome!

You may also consider replacing this tooth so that the adjacent teeth do not shift towards this open space.

The least invasive replacement is called a Nesbit. It is a one tooth removable partial that easily snaps in and out. It is not meant to be worn while eating because chewing can dislodge it and you could choke or swallow it. But it serves the purpose of keeping the anatomy the way it is meant to be.

All the best to you!
Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim722 (Post 965739)
Hi Bryanna,

That makes alot of sense! I didn't even think of that, thank you so much. I think I will look into a replacement if I don't get used to it. Again, thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Kim