NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   week 1:anterior and posterior cervical surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/185618-week-1-anterior-posterior-cervical-surgery.html)

mrsalkire 03-18-2013 01:41 PM

week 1:anterior and posterior cervical surgery

So 1 week since my surgery and I feel like a mack truck hit me and is still sitting on my shoulders/neck area. I cant lift my arms and have a horrible pain. BUT I can swallow better from day one than it was the entire 7 months after my first acdf. I cant find much info though on anyone who has had both an anterior and posterior procedure in one day. They went through the front removed the plate and screws then went in back and put in rods and screws c3-c6. pain seems gone from shoulder and arm now numbness comes and GOES so figure that is just swelling induced? Thoughts feedback info?????? anything????

Katieaero 03-18-2013 08:47 PM

Praying for quick healing and awesome results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsalkire (Post 967133)
So 1 week since my surgery and I feel like a mack truck hit me and is still sitting on my shoulders/neck area. I cant lift my arms and have a horrible pain. BUT I can swallow better from day one than it was the entire 7 months after my first acdf. I cant find much info though on anyone who has had both an anterior and posterior procedure in one day. They went through the front removed the plate and screws then went in back and put in rods and screws c3-c6. pain seems gone from shoulder and arm now numbness comes and GOES so figure that is just swelling induced? Thoughts feedback info?????? anything????

Leesa 03-19-2013 05:13 AM

Didn't your doctor give you any POST surgery medications? I wish you had talked to him prior to surgery about this. Give him a call and tell him about the terrible pain you're in -- tell him you NEED something for this pain!! You can go on like this -- how in the world do you sleep?

Obviously whatever meds you have aren't touching this, so ask him to Rx you something to help. I wish you the very best. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee :)

mg neck prob 03-19-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Could be inflamation but I can't help but wonder if also could be from surgical positioning on the table. I just wonder of that sometimes because I had acdf and woke up with horrible right shoulder pain which was severe. I still get nasty flare ups in the shoulder. I remember years ago during my cancer surgery which was on my leg --I was awake during that surgery but numb from the spine down--- I remember being on the table with arms extended and tied down and legs were streched so far apart almost to the point of doing the splits. Im not sure if they use any kind of traction device during cervical fusion but u were flipped on both sides--I only had anterior but my brother had posterior and I know posterior is harder on recovery because they have to cut all that muscle on the back on the neck. The only problem is because of bleeding no antinflamtory meds are allowed for long time after fusion surgery.

mrsalkire 03-19-2013 07:26 PM

thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by mg neck prob (Post 967470)
Could be inflamation but I can't help but wonder if also could be from surgical positioning on the table. I just wonder of that sometimes because I had acdf and woke up with horrible right shoulder pain which was severe. I still get nasty flare ups in the shoulder. I remember years ago during my cancer surgery which was on my leg --I was awake during that surgery but numb from the spine down--- I remember being on the table with arms extended and tied down and legs were streched so far apart almost to the point of doing the splits. Im not sure if they use any kind of traction device during cervical fusion but u were flipped on both sides--I only had anterior but my brother had posterior and I know posterior is harder on recovery because they have to cut all that muscle on the back on the neck. The only problem is because of bleeding no antinflamtory meds are allowed for long time after fusion surgery.

I think thats what it is horrible muscle spasm. And I have norco 10mg I take them every couple hours flexeril 3xs daily. Ihave weird little points that hurt and little scabs on eash side of my head so Imsure thats what is is from being racheted down lol

mg neck prob 03-20-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsalkire (Post 967528)
I think thats what it is horrible muscle spasm. And I have norco 10mg I take them every couple hours flexeril 3xs daily. Ihave weird little points that hurt and little scabs on eash side of my head so Imsure thats what is is from being racheted down lol

I had scabs and blood in my scalp after surgery ----thats from the sticky electo things they attach to you during surgery --they forgot to take mine off I had to pull them off they were in my head and back I even found dried blood btw my toes-lol--I think they use it to montior the spine to make sure they dont nick anything during surgery.

LindaH 03-21-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

i read your posting with much interest since i am scheduled next tuesday for the same 2 procedures. i had had a plate installed during an anterior acdf in November 2012. now the doc says it has come dislodged and is hanging loose on only 2 screws. he and every other doctor we've talked to think this is a dangerous situation . he wants to remove the plate anteriorly and install the rods posteriorly.

It took me a long time to recover from the first procedure in Nov. and i still cannot use my right arm (diagnosed as C 5 palsy). i'm very concerned that recovery from the upcoming operation will be even harder or that i will never fully recover. My recovery is further complicated by my Parkinson's disease.

I'm also interested in hearing from others who have undergone similar procedures

mrsalkire 03-23-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaH (Post 968180)
i read your posting with much interest since i am scheduled next tuesday for the same 2 procedures. i had had a plate installed during an anterior acdf in November 2012. now the doc says it has come dislodged and is hanging loose on only 2 screws. he and every other doctor we've talked to think this is a dangerous situation . he wants to remove the plate anteriorly and install the rods posteriorly.

It took me a long time to recover from the first procedure in Nov. and i still cannot use my right arm (diagnosed as C 5 palsy). i'm very concerned that recovery from the upcoming operation will be even harder or that i will never fully recover. My recovery is further complicated by my Parkinson's disease.

I'm also interested in hearing from others who have undergone similar procedures

Linda Im sorry you have to go through all this. I was scared too! BUT I can tell you straight out of surgery I could swallow better than before. Pain is pretty intense though. I think time will tell how it goes from here Im not really sure. I did it because I didnt really see any choice I couldnt stay the way I was. Guess now were in this together. Ill be praying for you!!!!:hug:

eva5667faliure 03-24-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leesa (Post 967287)
Didn't your doctor give you any POST surgery medications? I wish you had talked to him prior to surgery about this. Give him a call and tell him about the terrible pain you're in -- tell him you NEED something for this pain!! You can go on like this -- how in the world do you sleep?

Obviously whatever meds you have aren't touching this, so ask him to Rx you something to help. I wish you the very best. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee :)

hi lee
just passing through
i cringe just the thought
of what this person was
subjected through
i spend much of the writing
on a different forum
medication sub pain pump
wishing you well and happiness

someone who cares

eva5667faliure 03-24-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsalkire (Post 967528)

hello
you bring me back
the one on the right is
problematic

i had ACDF 5/6-6/7 PLATE AND SCREWS 3/11/10
FAILED TO FUSE
WENT BACK TO WORK 2 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY
i had PCDF ON 4/15/11 NEW DONOR BONE AND CAGE
IMMEDIATE ADDITIONAL COMPLICATIONS
HEMATOMA AT AND ON SURGICAL SIGHT
MAIMED FOR LIFE
BREAST CANCER WAS THE HICCUP IN THE ROAD