NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Any one else here with Anosmia ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/185940-else-anosmia.html)

melon 03-26-2013 05:42 AM

Any one else here with Anosmia ?

Surprised there is no mention of it here , has any one been left with it as a result of a head injury ?

m

dare2bdifferent 03-26-2013 08:26 AM

My sense of smell has not been affected, but my taste has. I am not sure if it is due to PCS or if it is a side effect from one of the meds I was taking.

Brain patch 03-26-2013 10:49 AM

I have no sense of taste. I would starve if my mom did not put food in front of me. Total loss of appetite. I also have loss of sense of smell. Except for some odors that I smell more strongly-more sensitive. I often wonder if those odors that I smell so strongly are really there. I have commented on them before and get weird looks from others so I think it is just me. Is this ever going to come back? 8 years and so far no.
I really need to get in and have my eyes checked by one of those neuroopthomologists that you guys talk about. I have no depth perception. I think I may be missing part of my vision.
Brain

MiaVita2012 03-26-2013 12:07 PM

I have no taste!Everything has to be extra spicy.Smells are different I smell for most part and actually I might be over sensitive in smell.My ex would drink one beer and eat and I could still smell beer on him.lol

melon 03-27-2013 06:16 AM

I have EDS / HMS and possibly other connective tissue issues , that themselves , were made worse considerably by a fringe treatment I had that I assumed was harmless ( NCR - Neuro cranial reconstruction ) but has left me crippled to this day.

The treatment itself left me with what I can only describe as laxity inside my cranium that started round the right temple cheek and evolved to include other areas I could feel being torqued / weakened like my eyes. These conditions quickly deteriorated over the course of 3 months ( mostly noticeably when I walked ), and with it produced all manners of altered states / moods as well as changes to my senses / facial features as well.

5 years later In 07 I was suffering from chronic tinnitus as result of using a Rebuilder device to treat another condition ( Neuropathy ) so I decided to try some sclerotia ( mycelium from Psilocybe Tampanensis ) because I had read accounts of it helping cluster headaches and figured there might a connection.

Unfortunately I took more than I should of ( the effects were delayed far longer than expected ) so I assumed my yield were duds .

This together with an intra cranial injection I had some days beforehand through my palate as nerve block had some very unexpected results - not unlike an experienced I had before with using mushrooms but with far stronger effects .

When the trip began ( a bad one ) nothing physical happened , and then just as the paranoia left I experienced a sudden jolt at the back of my skull as though it were being pushed into my face in one sudden motion that caused a streak or lighting boltto appear mid line down the center between my vision .

The " weakened / loose " area in my skull I mentioned that occurred after the NCR back in 02 , and had been contributing to tinnitus and other problems I had since then ( i had also been housebound up to this point ) were gone ,but had also left me ,with what I hoped, was temporary anosmia in its place.

My appearance also reflected these changes - most noticeable with my brow , as did my mood ( almost lucid ) my hearing & sight , and deep desire to be creative - which I was.

In addition to these changes I also noticed- or felt differences inside my skull as well , and most noticeably with small vomer bone which had been pushed a good inch or so towards my septum , instead of away from it as had been previously the case .

I wasnt surprised to see that this movement due to the nerve block because the anesthetic from these shots ( much like other dental shots ) always had this effect of countering this pulling / tension in my skull that had since become such a major problem since NCR incident, but never to the degree it affected my whole body or stayed that way ( tensions / symptoms would reappear ) after the shots weakened.

So what did actually happen , did the sclerotia somehow change the nerve block, or intensify its effects ?

Unless Im mistakened , its impossible ( under normal circumstances ) to strengthen connective tissue inside the cranium vault the same way you can with other areas like the knees using PRP outside it ?

So what if using a hallucinogenic substance like I did ( even with a nerve block ) allows some way for an otherwise simple solution to quadruple its effects ?

I only know this is only an idea, but I cant think of any other reason why it would have this effect that Ive heard of , and am quite certain places like MAPS , and other organizations involved in hallucinogenics research , wouldnt either.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say I doubt any one has ever tried using them in this setting with injections such as PRP or nerve blocks, for muscoskeletal purposes, or just to see what sort of effect they have.

What do you think ?

melon

mouse1 03-27-2013 06:37 AM

My sense of smell is affected, had a couple of accidents cooking in the kitchen as a result.

Concussion 03-27-2013 12:27 PM

Do you have Salty, Bitter, Sweet, ??

Those are Taste buds.

Nose / Olfactory is the other part of taste, to blend in the brain for the actual flavoring sense of savory sensations spiciness, aromas, etc.

75% or so is Olfactory - basics of bitter, salty, sweet, etc are tastebuds/tongue or around 25%.

Meds take away most Olfactory stuff, or take away taste bud stuff.

Genetic loses can be one or other, and adaptations come during development; but mostly foods are sorta bland compared to others without those loses.

Literature is available to check.

Head trauma has been reported to affect taste in one way or another; but most reports are or have been reported to be from those meds we take relating to our injuries.

melon 03-27-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concussion (Post 969651)
Do you have Salty, Bitter, Sweet, ??

Those are Taste buds.

Nose / Olfactory is the other part of taste, to blend in the brain for the actual flavoring sense of savory sensations spiciness, aromas, etc.

75% or so is Olfactory - basics of bitter, salty, sweet, etc are tastebuds/tongue or around 25%.

Meds take away most Olfactory stuff, or take away taste bud stuff.

Genetic loses can be one or other, and adaptations come during development; but mostly foods are sorta bland compared to others without those loses.

Literature is available to check.

Head trauma has been reported to affect taste in one way or another; but most reports are or have been reported to be from those meds we take relating to our injuries.

Have any of you tried LENS for anosmia ?

Also if you are on twitter / facebook there is rather good group with a newsletter that is trying to raise awareness .

m

Brain patch 03-28-2013 12:17 PM

What is LENS? What are you saying in your post up above? That you think psychedelic drugs like mushrooms have helped you or could help with brain injury? You lost me on that one.
Brain

Anosmic93 04-02-2013 12:29 PM

Anosmia and neuropsychology

I'm anosmic since a 1993 concussion. I've been pursuing information on siude effects - memory, focus and so on - and doctors only confirm the known injuries and have no solution. Referral is to a neuropsychologist. Very expensive copay so I want to learn more about what they do and what to expect before I schedule. Any input is welcome.