NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Are We Still Doing Exercises? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/186004-doing-exercises.html)

SallyC 03-27-2013 01:16 PM

Are We Still Doing Exercises?

I am pushing myself, twice a day, every day, to do the
PT & OT exercises learned in the Hospital, after my fall
in Nov. 2011. Some days it's really hard, but I'm not
sorry, because it's working to keep myself moving..:)

When I don't feel well or am exhausted and want to
say "not today", I remind myself what it was like,
back in 2011, when I didn't have the strength or
muscle control to lift myself into my mini van, to go
to the Docs. I fell and ended up in the hospital with
an exacerbation, brought on by the fall.

Don't let yourself get weak, like I did. Take my word
for it, if you haven't learned on your own yet.......
To uSe It oR LOsE iT!!!!! http://home.earthlink.net/~sal.pal/s...tures/kick.gif

Are you all keeping it moving?:grouphug:

Snoopy 03-27-2013 02:32 PM

WooHoo Sally! :yahoo: Keep going!

Since October 2012 I have been weight training. I use a 4 station weight machine (total body workout) no less than 4 days a week. I absolutely LOVE my weight machine. I have increased my strength and I am leg pressing 220 pounds.

TXBatman 03-27-2013 02:34 PM

Glad you are still doing well Sally! I am still riding. I haven't been spinning mid-week as often, but have been making up for it by riding and working my tail off in the yard on the weekends. Rode 44 miles amid the hills and wildflowers near the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream (Brenham, Texas) last weekend, and then mowed and edged the yard and moved about 3 cubic yards of mulch to make rings around trees in the backyard.

Erika 03-27-2013 02:37 PM

Still getting out for walks but nothing strenuous for the last while. Looking forward to getting back to it ASAP; once the docs give the all clear.

With love, Erika

Debbie D 03-28-2013 02:31 AM

since being in Hawaii I tried doing the elliptical a couple of times...each time I got overheated and my calves tightened so much I couldn't complete my usual 30 minutes...
so I've been trying to swim as often as possible, which my neuro has suggested all along. It does seem easier, and I get my heart rate up to high enough for a good workout.

Making lemonade out of lemons:)

Sparky10 03-28-2013 09:31 AM

My exercise du jour right now is hiking the woods and roadways for deer antler sheds. I can be in the woods, up and down hills, stepping over logs and crossing creeks for over an hour!

Here's the only shed I've found so far, just yesterday (actually spotted from the car on a drive):

ewizabeth 03-28-2013 06:52 PM

I use the elliptical about 3-4 times per week for 30 minutes. I'm adding ten knee pushups too since warmer weather is coming and my arms are like flabby chicken wings. :D

tkrik 03-29-2013 10:47 AM

Since starting vitamin D therapy, my muscles have been feeling so much better. I have been far more active than I have been in the past couple of years. With that said, I went check out a gym yesterday. It's getting too warm for me to be outside walking. The gym is medically based and is a little different than your typical gym. There are lots of cardiac rehab patients and a bunch of trainers as well as a PT. Additionally, several of the trainers there have MS clients so that was a huge plus as I know they will understand the challenges we MSers have. I really liked it there and plan to start going there next week.

karousel 03-29-2013 07:26 PM

Hello everyone. I haven't been on here in such a long time! I've missed you all.

I stepped up my exercising in January and paid for it in February. I pushed myself past my limit and had to take some time off from exericsing just to rest and to calm my MS down.

February I exercised moderately and felt much better. This month I've been sick so often I haven't exercised like I want to.

We bought a new treadmill and I've been doing yoga. After I get rid of this latest cold and hopefully don't get another one, I plan to restart exercising moderately. I'm looking forward to getting back to exercising in a more consistent way.

EricP 04-03-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 969662)
I am pushing myself, twice a day, every day, to do the
PT & OT exercises learned in the Hospital, after my fall
in Nov. 2011. Some days it's really hard, but I'm not
sorry, because it's working to keep myself moving..:)

When I don't feel well or am exhausted and want to
say "not today", I remind myself what it was like,
back in 2011, when I didn't have the strength or
muscle control to lift myself into my mini van, to go
to the Docs. I fell and ended up in the hospital with
an exacerbation, brought on by the fall.

Don't let yourself get weak, like I did. Take my word
for it, if you haven't learned on your own yet.......
To uSe It oR LOsE iT!!!!! http://home.earthlink.net/~sal.pal/s...tures/kick.gif

Are you all keeping it moving?:grouphug:

Darn right I am out exercising! Being outside really makes me feel a ton better and recently I have felt like riding the bike again... I've done around 70 miles, not a lot, but better than nothing. Just been tooo damn cold out.

I firmly believe that riding my bike will keep me flexible and train my brain to keep my balance no matter how far the disease grabs me. I feel if you keep moving, your brain and everything else won't lose anything...

Ugggg Know what I mean? :D So hard to explain lol.