NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, Ginkgo.. (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/186195-st-johns-wort-5-htp-ginkgo.html)

nattyway 03-31-2013 05:16 PM

St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, Ginkgo..

My psychiatrist recently prescribed Effexor to me for anxiety and mild depression. After doing some research and some surveying of friends I'm scared beyond belief of this drug. While I know that each person reacts differently, my depression is situational and my anxiety can be controlled if I take the proper precautions, I don't feel that the damage Effexor can do to your body is worth it in my situation.

After doing some research on some natural ways to handle my depression and anxiety I am going to attempt this course: St. John's Wort (300MG) 5-HTP (200MG) Ginkgo Biloba (120MG) and B Complex. I don't plan on starting this until I talk to my physician. I am hesitant to talk to my psychiatrist about my plans as he basically said, "...don't come back unless you're taking Effexor."

Has anyone else tried to handle mild depression/anxiety with herbs and supplements? Any bad interactions you might see with the above course? I do take .25 mg of klonopin for anxiety, but only as needed. Again, I don't plan on starting this without consulting my physician, but thought I'd start here.

poetrymom 04-01-2013 04:43 PM

I like 5-htp

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattyway (Post 970772)
My psychiatrist recently prescribed Effexor to me for anxiety and mild depression. After doing some research and some surveying of friends I'm scared beyond belief of this drug. While I know that each person reacts differently, my depression is situational and my anxiety can be controlled if I take the proper precautions, I don't feel that the damage Effexor can do to your body is worth it in my situation.

After doing some research on some natural ways to handle my depression and anxiety I am going to attempt this course: St. John's Wort (300MG) 5-HTP (200MG) Ginkgo Biloba (120MG) and B Complex. I don't plan on starting this until I talk to my physician. I am hesitant to talk to my psychiatrist about my plans as he basically said, "...don't come back unless you're taking Effexor."

Has anyone else tried to handle mild depression/anxiety with herbs and supplements? Any bad interactions you might see with the above course? I do take .25 mg of klonopin for anxiety, but only as needed. Again, I don't plan on starting this without consulting my physician, but thought I'd start here.

Hi there

I have taken 5-htp at night for about 2.5 years and I find it helps me sleep. I was having problems with anxiety related to just mid-life stuff and hormones in my female body. I can't say
if 5-htp will work for you or not, but I like it, and take it with Gaba and L-theanine, but for helping me sleep. Good luck to you and I hope you overcome your anxiety.