NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/)
-   -   vp shunt causing headaches? (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/186251-vp-shunt-causing-headaches.html)

shuntboy88 04-01-2013 10:07 PM

vp shunt causing headaches?

I have a VP Shunt and have had a headache ever since. worse than before I had the shunt. Anyone else with a shunt having this or is this long term? I have had my shunt for a couple months. just had a shuntogram and shunt functioning fine, so they tell me. :Scratch-Head:

JVerive 04-09-2013 10:38 AM

Low CSF pressure can cause headaches. For example, postural headaches due to CSF leaks after lumbar puncture are especially common. Does your pain improve when you lie down?

Ask your neurosurgeon or neurologist about ways to manage these headaches. It's possible that your shunt is working too well, reducing your CSF pressure too much, resulting in your headache.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuntboy88 (Post 971106)
I have a VP Shunt and have had a headache ever since. worse than before I had the shunt. Anyone else with a shunt having this or is this long term? I have had my shunt for a couple months. just had a shuntogram and shunt functioning fine, so they tell me. :Scratch-Head:

Squidge 04-28-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

I have had a shunt for past 4 years, I've had it revised 12 times! It's been fine for the past year ( as in working correctly ) however I've also had a chronic daily headache for the past year! I had an icp monitor which showed everything to be fine. 2 weeks ago I was given 39 Botox injections in my head! My headache is still present but much more in the background, I've been told the second set will work more. I'd recommend giving Botox a go if you've tried other remedies. I really hope you sort the headaches out, I know how low they can make you feel, take care x

CNAJACLYN 04-21-2015 11:20 AM

Shunt boy,
I had my 7th revision in July and ever since then I've had horrible headaches. The shunt was moved from behind my right ear to the top of my head. I went 34 years with no headaches (except when they clogged) to headaches EVERYDAY. It has gotten so bad I sometimes have to take time off work. I'm going to my neurologist for some testing today. I hope your problem got fixed.

Summer2 05-28-2017 12:48 AM

Hi, I had a Vp shunt fitted 4 years ago and I still get quit a lot of pressure pain e

Quote:

Hi their!
I have had a Vp shunt for 2 1/2 years now and I still get quit a lot of head pressure type of pain.
Early mornings seem the worst! I suffer from NPH, but their are good days and some times even longer!