NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   genetic testing (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/186366-genetic-testing.html)

cait24 04-04-2013 12:02 AM

genetic testing

I saw on the news tonight about a company that does genetic screening for 200 disease markers for $99. Many of them are autoimmune diseases but MG is not on the list. I think I am going to send for the kit. Since so many MGers have more than 1 autoimmune disease, I think it is worth the expense to see what else the future might hold for me.

kathie

StephC 04-05-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cait24 (Post 971791)
I saw on the news tonight about a company that does genetic screening for 200 disease markers for $99. Many of them are autoimmune diseases but MG is not on the list. I think I am going to send for the kit. Since so many MGers have more than 1 autoimmune disease, I think it is worth the expense to see what else the future might hold for me.

kathie

Sounds interesting, please post how it goes. Thanks.

gr8ful 04-05-2013 09:01 AM

My father has Parkinson's Disease and sent for the kit (or at least one in that price range). He showed me the results and to be honest, the report seemed a little 'generic'. Perhaps I didn't really interpret it correctly. It's not clear to me what I could do if I learned I had a slightly elevated risk of getting 50 different rare diseases That's the type of output that was on my father's report. Before I read the report it sounded like a great idea. Perhaps someone could tell me how to utilize a set of results like that?

StephC 04-05-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8ful (Post 972197)
My father has Parkinson's Disease and sent for the kit (or at least one in that price range). He showed me the results and to be honest, the report seemed a little 'generic'. Perhaps I didn't really interpret it correctly. It's not clear to me what I could do if I learned I had a slightly elevated risk of getting 50 different rare diseases That's the type of output that was on my father's report. Before I read the report it sounded like a great idea. Perhaps someone could tell me how to utilize a set of results like that?

The $99 price does seem very low compared to the $2000+ bill i have from athena diagnostics for some test that my neuro ordered.

cait24 04-05-2013 10:11 AM

I am sending for the kit and I will let you know how it goes. It takes about 8 weeks. It lists a bunch of auto-immune disorders such as RA, MS, lupus, sjogrens, chrons,and celiac. At this point in my life, 53, I would like to be on the look out of other issues. MG has so many symptoms, there are so many side affects of the MG drugs & treatment, and it took so long to get the MG diagnosis, I would like to be fore-warned if I have a predisposition to any other auto-immune disease.

If MG were on the list and I knew about this a year ago, I would have gladly paid $99 to narrow down the diagnosis and prevent a year of doctors and other unnecessary tests. Also, with my reduced energy and my life focusing around MG, I might miss or ignore some other serious symptom. MG tends to take over our lives.

kathie

mrsD 04-05-2013 10:32 AM

If you are talking about 23andMe, they also provide methylation DNA errors, which can be critical for patients, because poor methylation leads to nerve damage eventually, as well as cancer and heart attacks.

B12, and folic acid have to be methylated in the body in order to work at the biological tasks that require them. If one has the MTHFR mutation, this cannot work, and therefore the person deteriorates slowly.

Several of our PNers here have had this test, and all so far showed methylation mutations.

To minimize this error, taking methylcobalamin for the B12 and methylfolate for your folate will bypass the error, and restore biological systems. These both are available OTC.

brandnu 04-05-2013 11:42 AM

genetic test

I would be interested in this test, I wish tho it had MG on there. would you mind sharing info on who offers the test etc or send me pm?

does anyone know an affordable way to test for MG genetically?

gr8ful 04-05-2013 11:44 AM

mrsD,
Yes 23andMe was the company.

I suppose I don't know how to interpret the results from my father's test. I'll read up a bit more and see what I can learn.

cait24 04-05-2013 02:38 PM

I emailed 23andme and asked about testing for MG genome markers. Here is the link to their site and the list of health traits they check for. I will let you know how I make out and share my results.

https://www.23andme.com/health/all/.

kathie

mrsD 04-05-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8ful (Post 972243)
mrsD,
Yes 23andMe was the company.

I suppose I don't know how to interpret the results from my father's test. I'll read up a bit more and see what I can learn.

For the MTHFR results there is also COMT (which is a methyl tranferase).

This link explains some of the MTHFR details and will familiarize you with the nomenclature (terminology).

http://mthfr.net/what-is-mthfr/2011/11/04/

Try Googling the terms too... Wiki has some pages, and there is a huge reference site...connected to 23andMe..which eludes me now.