NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Exhausted (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/186545-exhausted.html)

mouse1 04-07-2013 01:10 PM

Exhausted

I am absolutely exhausted, I haven't done anything this weekend apart from sit around but no let up in being tired.

I did two days last week in work, and had to get up at 645am for this, and worked 8-1. I over did things after work on Friday and still haven't recovered, my legs are like lead. Yesterday I was in pain so ended up taking Imigran and Nurofen on top of my Cymbalta for right sided facial pain. I wonder if this drug combination increases fatigue, it really pushes up serotonin levels anyway.

I have been pain free today thankfully. I have to do two 8-1 days and one 8-5 this week, so am now wondering how I am going to do it when I feel so bad now. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow when I have work, I am still optimistic about things, but didn't realise that trying to get back to normality would be so tiring.

Brain patch 04-07-2013 01:24 PM

Mouse,
I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I am also so proud of you for trying so hard. You are really doing a lot. Maybe if you need to you can cut back a little. 8 to 1 sounds do-able for you but 8 to 5? I don't know. I don't want you to get frustrated. You are doing so well and so much. Take it easy on yourself today. Get plenty of sleep and rest. Drink a lot of water. Never underestimate the power of water. I use something called emergen-c, it is a packet that you mix with your water that has a lot of vitamin c and b vitamins and just makes you feel really perked up. It tastes good too. Helps me a lot. Gives me an energy buzz. Maybe this can help you at work when you start to drag.
I am really proud of you. Please be kind to yourself. If you need to do less there is no shame in it. You are giving it your all.
Brain :hug:

mouse1 04-07-2013 01:52 PM

Thanks for your support. I am just going to concentrate on getting through my work week and do nothing else. As soon as I get home I am going to rest, and tonight I am having a hot bath to try and lift the fatigue and have an early night. I was due in for 4 days the following week with two 8-5 days, but depending on how I get on I might have to cut back. I have an understanding employer and good colleagues so this helps.

Mokey 04-07-2013 01:55 PM

It feels awful to be exhausted! I have had a similar bad time of it this week....not functioning well....and then my spouse who is stressed from my injury opened a box of new knives and somehow one went through the top of his hand. Rushed to emergency...and he waited ten hours...came home at 4:30 am. I didn't sleep and finally tried a muscle relaxant and melatonin and still didn't sleep but have been groggy ever since!!
I guess muscle relaxants don't work on nerve pain behind the eyes. Now i know! And melatonin has not worked for me since my MTBI.....live and learn. I don't even feel safe enough to drive or use a knife myself!
Having said all that, we need to just get through this bad day and wake up hopefully feeling a bit more energetic tomorrow!
Healing is hard work, Mouse, and it sure takes a lot of deep down strength and commitment to keep up the healing struggle. Keep digging deep inside yourself to find your strength...and keep on going.

Su seb 04-07-2013 08:41 PM

Your health

I have been struggling for six months with balancing rest and work. I think I have slowed my healing because I have worked too much. If I could go back, I would rest more, your brain is more important! If you are experiencing symptoms, back off. Especially if your employer is understanding.
Interestingly, grocery stores and shopping in general is one of the worst things for me. So if I need to get through the work week I make sure to stay away from them.
Good luck
Su seb

Brain patch 04-07-2013 10:00 PM

Good luck at work tomorrow

Just wanted to give you some encouragement for work tomorrow. Hope you have a good day and make it through without any problems. Remember to come home and take it easy. Don't push yourself too hard too fast. This is coming along for you. Slow and easy brother. Slow and easy. Take plenty of breaks. Drink lots of water. Keep a positive attitude. If you need to leave early or can't make it that is ok. You are doing great. Proud of your progress. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there with a head injury. Sounds like you have some good people that you work with. Let them help if needed. Good luck! Will keep you in my prayers.

mouse1 04-08-2013 08:50 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, work went very well today, I took extra pain meds at breakfast (which I haven't done for a very long time) and this worked great. I was in a 2.5 hour meeting and was able to follow and contribute well, without worrying about eye, ear and facial pain. Getting a good nights sleep is so important as well to get you through a working day. I am becoming a lot more optimistic and positive about the future and don't feel so tired today. Down time all day today though to prepare me for work tommorow, when I am away from work I am taking it really slow.

cyclecrash 04-08-2013 09:54 AM

So glad to hear today went well! I was worried for you. I hope to hear that the whole week went well come Friday! So great to have a success posted as it's happening!

Thanks for sharing and get some rest.

CC

Brain patch 04-08-2013 10:00 PM

Glad to hear work went well for you today mouse! You are doing a great job. Hope tomorrow goes just as good. It is very hopeful and positive that you are doing so well. You have made amazing progress. Keep up the good work. Don't feel badly if you need to take it slower. Sometimes it is one step back and two steps forward. I am proud of you. You are facing these difficulties like a champion.

mouse1 04-09-2013 12:10 PM

Thanks, I just did my 8-5 and this went well, dealt with quite a lot of problems in work, really tired now. Just wish the facial pain would go away, I think it is nerve pain so might have to go back to the doctor about this. Then again my pain could be up because I am trying to work again.