NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Could you have had MS longer than when the first symptoms appeared? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/186857-ms-symptoms-appeared.html)

skywalker1988 04-12-2013 03:32 PM

Could you have had MS longer than when the first symptoms appeared?

I was diagnosed with MS last week but experienced double, blurred vision and has a spot on my brain. I also have had battles with my emotions up and down, plus I am on meds for low testerone because my body doesn't give out testerone on its own. I also have a slumped back. Could it be possible that MS has been in me way longer than the vision problems and the brain spot was discovered?

SallyC 04-12-2013 03:52 PM

Yes Luke, it's possible. I've had symptoms of MS since
1964 but wasn't DX until 1975.:hug:

kicker 04-12-2013 04:24 PM

Before I was dianosed thought I had an inner ear vestbular problem making me dizzy and had a pregnancy resulting in twins causing the "pee" problems and I was aging and working, no wonder I was tired. Had all that AND MS turns out!

Erin524 04-12-2013 04:24 PM

I can think of a few of my MS symptoms that I remember feeling back when I was a kid. (unexplained vertigo, the MS "hug", muscle twitches...)

Makes me think that I might have had pediatric MS and just didn't know about it until I got older and things started to get more obvious.

Snoopy 04-12-2013 04:34 PM

Yes.

It is not uncommon to have MS longer than the actual diagnosis date. I was diagnosed at the age of 24 but my symptoms go back to childhood.

jprinz99 04-15-2013 09:27 AM

in short- Yes, and is common to have had symptoms from MS before any actual clinical daignosis.

Natalie8 04-16-2013 02:54 AM

No, I had zero symptoms until I got optic neuritis when I was almost 40 and was diagnosed. There were no warning signs, no weird things in my past. Thus it was a shock. But I did have old lesions on my brain (black holes) that made them think the process had been going on for a bit before diagnosis. But again I had NO symptoms until 4 weeks before diagnosis.

NurseNancy 04-16-2013 03:17 PM

yes is the short answer.
i was dx'd when i was 53 and my neuro thought i had it at least 10 yrs prior.
as i thought back those 10 yrs i remembered slight instances of sx's.

dx'd = diagnosed
sx's = symptoms

Sparky10 04-16-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skywalker1988 (Post 974484)
Could it be possible that MS has been in me way longer than the vision problems and the brain spot was discovered?

Yes, it is possible.

The slumped back could possibly be your spine accommodating a weakness in your legs. This happened to me. Not a slump, but a twist/skew in my lower spine. It makes one hip higher than the other, giving the impression of having one leg shorter than the other. I'm seeing a chiropractor, who is really helping with this.

This is only a suggestion about your slumped back.

karilann 04-17-2013 07:37 PM

Bummer, yeah..........

I think mine was sneaking up on me around 1989 and I wasn't diagnosed until 2002.

I believe doctors suspected before 2002, but my MRI's were always clear.