NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Ear pain/pressure with exercise? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/187099-ear-pain-pressure-exercise.html)

mouse1 04-17-2013 08:34 AM

Ear pain/pressure with exercise?

I used to get terrible head pressure and headaches with exercise, now it seems that this has transformed into ear pressure. Has anyone else had this?

MiaVita2012 04-17-2013 08:40 AM

Yes

My M.D.s told my to plug my nose and blow like out my ears....I have not had problems since.I told them I was scared because I did not want to damage a ear drum or anything.They all assured me I would not.Try it out for awhile and hopefully that is the cure.:hug:

mouse1 04-17-2013 11:02 AM

Thanks this helped, not sure why its happening though. Might have a go again in the gym slowly at the weekend to test myself.

ro85 04-17-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 975898)
I used to get terrible head pressure and headaches with exercise, now it seems that this has transformed into ear pressure. Has anyone else had this?

I know the answer! You are having earwax, so when you exercices the blood pressure rise..even in the ear drum , and then the ear drum hit the ear wax.

You can fix it very quickly. Get some oil. Like kitchen oil, and heat it at 37C and then put it with a sirigine in the ear. Repeat 3x times/day maybe for a week, and the wax will be dilueted and get out.

Do not try to get the ear wax out with a cotton... you will get just the earwax deeper, and trust me you don't want this. The ear drum it's like 3 inches deep and you won't be able get it out by pushing something there.

CountNomula 04-18-2013 09:50 PM

I have this problem too. Mine is a bit more extreme though. Getting up, walking about, riding my bike, talking, eating, and sometimes just thinking too hard all trigger my ears to plug up. :mad:

I am beginning to think that it is very much neck-related. For example, when you are exercising, straining, etc, you are putting extra exertion on those neck muscles and your spinal cord. Did you have whiplash or neck pain with your injury?

I am considering chiropractic care... I will let you know how it works out if I go.

mouse1 04-19-2013 02:26 AM

I did have neck pain but this went after I started taking Cymbalta. My neck muscles would be under strain because yesterday I did 25 minutes on the Crosstrainer, jogged 15 mins on the treadmill, and went on the stationary bike for 10 mins. This is a big step up for me, I haven't jogged since November.

My reaction to this has been a 3/10 headache which I also woke up with today and ear pressure on my right side. I am using olive oil as advised to see if it clears it up. I previously has noise sensitivity, ear pressure/pain, tinnitus, hypercusis in both ears, and at one point inability to do anything without exhaustion - now I just have pressure/pain in the right ear with exercise.

To be honest I feel that I can just push on with exercise as my symptoms are minimal compared with before. Previously very light exercise would have caused head pressure and subsequent migraines with heightened noise/light sensitivity and dreadful fatigue. So its all progress 5 months on.

You will get better, it just takes plenty of quiet rest without stimulation.

MiaVita2012 04-19-2013 09:56 AM

I think physical therapy would be WAY better then Chiro.I did both for my neck and back and I think chiro made me worse and I am feeling sooo much better with physical therapy.:grouphug:

mouse1 04-20-2013 02:22 AM

I am not sure if I am ready for such intense exercise yet, as I have had a headache on and off for 48 hours since, but low level, although I have had some flashes (like lightening) when my eyes are closed. The pain is about an inch away from my right ear on my face, I really am not sure if its ear wax. I can feel a very strong pulse around my right ear area where it hurts but not on my left side, so I am a bit confused.

MiaVita2012 04-20-2013 10:39 AM

Ya I would get the neck checked out again.I as well had a pulse very strong and thumping in my ears of a pulse.You might be feeling anxiety/stress inside your body physically.Going back to work is a lot on us.How long have you been on Cymbalta?Do you think it needs to be raised a little?I would steer clear from exercise since you are just back at work.You still need to apply baby steps.I hope you get this resolved

mouse1 04-20-2013 01:11 PM

Your right, I over did things but have rested and will continue to rest, things are now settling down again.