NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Bowel question (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/187223-bowel-question.html)

doydie 04-19-2013 04:00 PM

Bowel question

My bowels have been irregular for a long time. Before I started my diet I could either be constipated or diarrhea and have some near misses. When I started my diet I became constipated. I name my BMs since I feel like I am going into labor each time. I can go 3 - 4 days between stools. I started Colace and have to take 4 twice a day. This was how I was with each of my pregnancys. I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and fresh fruits and veggies and only whole grain breads, pasta. So my doctor suggested Miralax. I do not want to be in a laxative habit. But I'm afraid if I go to Miralax alone that it might happen. Any advice???

4-eyes 04-19-2013 08:04 PM

I suggest you buy a good probiotic. Be sure and get one with a high cfu count--50 billion or more. A dose or two of good fat like flax oil or coconut oil daily might also help.

doydie 04-19-2013 11:30 PM

What do probiotics do. I here all about them o TV but all that is propoganda. So I want to know what they REALLY do

Natalie8 04-20-2013 01:07 AM

Try 400 mg. of magnesium at night. It helps with constipation (and even sleep too! ) If I don't take it, I definitely notice it's worse.

SallyC 04-20-2013 09:30 AM

What to do if you have the opposite problem.. Consistently
soft and runny. This is pretty much the norm for me now.
Could it be my Prozac? Do I use the opposite of Colace,
which would be Imodium?

I suppose my diet change to healthier, lower fat and high
in fiber food, is making me regular. What? Too much fiber,
fruit, vegies? I don't get cramps or anything.

I thought I would ask my question here, instead of starting
another poop thread.:D:o

marion06095 04-20-2013 11:22 AM

Natalie8 is right. 400 mg of Magnesium per day helps keep me “regular.” it is also known to have other benefits for those of us with MS.

NurseNancy 04-20-2013 02:42 PM

i've taken miralax in the past and it worked well.
i don't think imodium is very good. i can't remember why exactly but a pharmacist might know.

it is better to use a stool softener rather than a laxative. i think the bowel can get used to the laxative and then you do need it. another good Q for a pharmacist.

4-eyes 04-20-2013 05:59 PM

Probiotics help restore natural levels of flora in the gut. It can help both diarrhea (that's why I use them) and constipation (why my daughter uses them).

SallyC 04-20-2013 07:11 PM

Thanks 4eyes, what are the best Probiotics?

doydie 04-20-2013 11:14 PM

So I guess Sally and I are the pooper questioners today. So IS Miralax considered a laxative and if so should it be given only in case of constipation and how do you define constipation.

What else does Magnesium do for MS