NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Fell down stairs with PCS (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/187365-fell-stairs-pcs.html)

mrsmith 04-22-2013 07:13 PM

Fell down stairs with PCS

So the other day clumsy me slipped on my top stair and fell down 5 stairs on my bottom. My head never made contact with the ground and I braced myself a bit so basically just slid down. My symptoms do not appear to have gotten worse, but I was just wondering if the bumpiness could have caused some damage?

Thanks on any replies.

Mokey 04-22-2013 09:45 PM

Poor you! I hope that if you feel ok then you will be fine!

poetrymom 04-22-2013 10:11 PM

Oh dear! So glad you didn't hit your head.

That you don't feel worse is maybe a good sign.

Keep on healing!

Sincerely,

Poetrymom

Mark in Idaho 04-22-2013 10:32 PM

I doubt the bumpity-bump caused any damage. But you may experience an increase in symptoms. Glad you did not bump your head.

Oh the pain, the pain. ....... Dr Smith, Lost in Space

mrsmith 04-22-2013 11:09 PM

Thanks again for the feedback. I was just wondering if how long the symptoms persist for is determined by the seriousness of the concussion, and how many you have had. I have had no other known concussions yet my symptoms have been around for 6 months.

Just curious.

mrsmith 04-22-2013 11:17 PM

Also, I was also verifying that a MRI was completely safe, as I am having one in the next few days to rule out any other problems (family has a lot of history with cancer).

Mokey 04-23-2013 12:06 AM

I have one concussion that I know of but I had a bad one and am still suffering, all injuries are unique. Lots of people here have good advice if you have concerns.
Most MRIs are negative for this type of injury. Mine was.
Hope things improve soon for you!

Mark in Idaho 04-23-2013 12:07 AM

An MRI is safe but not necessary unless you have serious symptoms beyond those common to a concussion. Concussion symptoms can easily last 6 months or longer. The intensity of the concussion plus how you have responded to the concussion can determine how long the symptoms last. Most doctors do not give much help with instructions for recovery.

What have you been doing to help with recovery ?

I just saw you post about the physiotherapy and your exercises. It sounds like the physiotherapy may be making your condition worse. If you have an upper neck injury, it needs gentle therapy and careful posture. Many physiotherapists get too focused on range of motion and such.

The MRI should include imaging of your upper neck with your head turned sharply to each side. This may show any upper neck injuries that need to be considered.

Does your physiotherapist tell you to ice your neck and back of your head after therapy ?

mrsmith 04-23-2013 01:20 AM

Yes the physiotherapist recommended that. After the first few sessions I cancelled all of my appointments and refuse to go again. He was extremely focused on getting me, "better," extremely quickly, and wanted me to do a few intense neck exercising which made my symptoms get very bad. He also said running should not increase my symptoms at any point during my recovery, at that point I decided that he didnt know anything about concussions.

Honestly the MRI is mainly for my family because they are very concerned and are not very knowledgable about PCS, and just want to verify that it is not something else.

mrsmith 04-23-2013 01:39 AM

And do you have any suggestions for the tinnitus? I have very loud and high pitched ringing in my ears, it is like the stereotypical sound you hear in the movies after a big explosion. It especially gives me trouble falling to sleep, as it is completely quiet so I tend to focus on the sound.