NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Top 5 PCS tips. (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/187402-top-5-pcs-tips.html)

mouse1 04-23-2013 02:13 PM

Top 5 PCS tips.

What would yours be for someone newly diagnosed?

If I knew what I know now, from the start I wish I had been able to:

1. Get plenty of quiet rest in a darkened environment - use ear plugs and sunglasses.
2. Avoid stress
3. Avoid over activity or exercise
4. Avoid over stimulation - limit TV, computers, radio.
5. If needed get medication for headaches, migraines, insomnia, anxiety or depression.

12many 04-23-2013 02:18 PM

Hi, yep that's about it, except, avoid all stress.. so what do we do, live in a cave? I've been going through pcs for about 5 or 6 yrs, took 2 yrs to figure out the problem. only after 2 more head bumps that increased the severity did I realize what was wrong. Still feel lazy or like I am faking it. Like I aged 30 years in a couple days. Still hoping for some kind of treatment that will enable me to improve.............

Lightrail11 04-23-2013 02:57 PM

I'd include:

1. Good nutrition with quality protein
2. Vitamin supplements to include B’s and D (see Mark’s thread)
3. Avoid alcohol or any other non-prescribed drugs
4. Once acute symptoms are under control, consider a neuropsychological assessment to identify residual deficits and develop a recovery plan.

mouse1 04-23-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12many (Post 977687)
Hi, yep that's about it, except, avoid all stress.. so what do we do, live in a cave? I've been going through pcs for about 5 or 6 yrs, took 2 yrs to figure out the problem. only after 2 more head bumps that increased the severity did I realize what was wrong. Still feel lazy or like I am faking it. Like I aged 30 years in a couple days. Still hoping for some kind of treatment that will enable me to improve.............

Perhaps I should have been more specific, as we all need to try to get on, examples of stress could include:
Being in work when not ready
Worrying about symptoms - it actually makes them worse
Looking after young children when not ready
Going to busy/noisy places (eg supermarket) when not ready
The list goes on.....

Tpont21 04-24-2013 08:50 AM

My top 5 tips:

1. Be patient. Realize that with time you will get better. Recovery is a marathon and not a sprint. Trying to go back to activities too soon will impede your progress. Listen to what your body is telling you.

2. Don't worry! The symptoms you are feeling are normal for a concussed individual. Worrying causes anxiety which makes everything worse and makes recovery more difficult. Become at peace with your symptoms and have faith things will get better.

3. Prioritize. Make your recovery a priority in your life. Do whatever you have to do. Stop working, cut your hours, stop drinking alcohol, focus on your diet, etc.

4. Reduce stress. This is a biggie. I know sometimes it is hard to reduce stress but do your best. Stress can cause relapses. Take deep breaths. Do some light yoga or go for a walk.

5. Focus on nutrition. Your brain needs quality nutrients to repair itself. Drink lots of water, avoid soda and alcohol. Gulp down the vegetables. Eat lean proteins and healthy fats. And check out the vitamin thread and consider adding in some B and D vitamins in your diet.

Renabrown2 04-24-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 977686)
What would yours be for someone newly diagnosed?

If I knew what I know now, from the start I wish I had been able to:

1. Get plenty of quiet rest in a darkened environment - use ear plugs and sunglasses.
2. Avoid stress
3. Avoid over activity or exercise
4. Avoid over stimulation - limit TV, computers, radio.
5. If needed get medication for headaches, migraines, insomnia, anxiety or depression.

I agree!!!!! I wish I had this when I was first diagnosed. I was trying so hard to get back to the old me that I was actually making it worse.

Now, if I can find out why I'm having a relapse after not having the major symptoms for over a year. No, I didn't hit my head again.
I've only had 1 concussion ( the one that caused this)