NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Need Ideas Please (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/187447-ideas-please.html)

MiaVita2012 04-24-2013 08:52 AM

Need Ideas Please

I am on a soft food diet until further notice looking at around 4months.I have to be on soft food because I have a jaw that is jacked up from my accident.I need help with ideas for soft brain/nutritional food lol. I do not do dairy, soy,MSG, eggs, artificial food coloring, and min sugars.:eek:

"Starr" 04-24-2013 09:07 AM

Not sure how soft you need...

Probably a blender, even a hand blender, will allow more variety in your life. Pretty much anything can be blended... honest. ;)

Homemade nutritious soups. Easy and you control ingredients. Don't use packaged broths, make your own stock. Just cook some chicken backs or beef bones for meat stock or some onion, celery, etc for veg broth. Pack it full of tasty vegetables (blend them) and if you make a big pot, you'll have food for a few days. Work once and then you'll be able to rest longer without having to cook. Or freeze it for quick meals when you're tired and miserable other days.

Mashed potatoes and ground beef/turkey/chicken casserole with vegetables (can use frozen or fresh), mushrooms if you like them (cut up small), onion... casserole has a name that I can't remember.

Bananas, avocados, cooked squash, mashed sweet potatoes, oatmeal, applesauce, hummus, yogurt.

Smoothies with added protein powder, heavy on adding kale and spinach, lighter on the fruit to reduce sugars.

Best of luck, if I think of more, I'll come back and add them.

Starr

Tpont21 04-24-2013 09:12 AM

Every morning I drink a smoothie that is an absolute powerhouse of vitamins and nutrients. Here's the ingredients:

1 scoop frozen wild blueberries
1 scoop frozen mixed berries
1 scoop frozen pineapple chunks
couple frozen cherries
1 banana
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (for some healthy fats)
1 large handful fresh kale leaves
1 large handful fresh spinach
1 - 1 1/2 cups water (or fruit juice)

Blend for a minute or so on high. The fruits completely eliminate the taste of the olive oil, kale, and spinach. It is delicious and healthy and something that you can drink with a straw. I drink one every morning.

You can experiment with different fruits and even add in stuff like flax seeds to get some more healthy fats.

mouse1 04-24-2013 09:19 AM

I like to eat cubed butternut squash, red pepper and onion cooked with vegetable stock and then put through a blender for a healthy soup.

I also eat pine nuts and olives a lot as they help the pituarity gland heal which is often affected during head injury leading to problems such as insomnia amongst others. They might be ok as they are both very soft.

MiaVita2012 04-24-2013 09:24 AM

I appreciate ideas

Thanks Star~I would have to get my mom over here to throw the soups together...I love casserole's but I think of cheese & cream of chicken or mushrooms.

T~Good sounding smoothie.I would replace olive oil with my coconut oil...You should try coconut oil.

I might just blend a steak up lol!I am already missing my steak lol!The good thing is I am going to go eat crab legs on Sat!I cannot wait.

Keep the ideas coming please

Concussion 04-24-2013 11:58 AM

I cannot recall where I read this, but it was in one of the very old 'food for life' Bibles of nutrition and naturopathy.

With the exception of Pineapple, you should not mix anything with Berries, you should not mix Melons with anything, you should always include Pineapple in most mixtures for the digestive aide.

More recent writings have included blueberries in many smoothies and carrots blends wihich are also great additives.

One Osteopath I worked with would always have a blend of Oat, Pineapple chunks and juice, carrots, spinach, blueberries, wheat germ and 1 raw egg daily before his work out - at that time he was 65 , and looked 45; ran 15 miles daily and had a daily weight routine that put me to shame; that was 20 years ago.... he's still living, and working part-time.

"Starr" 04-24-2013 12:36 PM

Casseroles don't need cheese or cream of chicken or mushroom soups! :eek: Yikes!! I never use anything like that... if you need "moisture" in a casserole, use homemade broth or stock as I mentioned above, much healthier.

Starr