NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   What should I expect with neuropsych testing? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/187534-expect-neuropsych-testing.html)

Tpont21 04-25-2013 04:12 PM

What should I expect with neuropsych testing?

As my appointment with a neuropsych at the Pittsburgh UPMC concussion clinic draws near, I was wondering what sort of testing I can expect to go through? Apparently this is the same facility that treats Pittsburgh professional sports athletes' concussions.

I really have no idea what to expect. Any comments or suggestions?

Mark in Idaho 04-25-2013 04:16 PM

You will be put through a battery of tests to check motor control/speed, memory, and a variety of mental processing functions. There is no need to try to prepare for it. They can be 1 hour long or 6 hours or more. It depends on the test objectives.

mouse1 04-25-2013 04:19 PM

I haven't needed this thankfully because I have been cognitively sound.

I understand that it is a battery of tests that can indicate problems or strengths in relation to memory, concentration, attention, planning, organising, cognitive problems, recall speed, problem solving etc. There are probably better people to advise you on here, who have had the tests, good luck with it!

DFayesMom 04-25-2013 05:11 PM

My experience

Mine Took three hours, I think. There were a bunch of questions, but I know that a place like you're going to will be more thorough than what my insurance allowed for. Sounds like you're going to get some great care, and hopefully it will allow you to identify problem areas. It was a little taxing, but nothing terrible. I did get a little emotional because I was having some trouble remembering things that I thought I should be able to remember, but other than that, it was fine.

Tpont21 04-25-2013 06:40 PM

Thanks for the responses. I figured it would be a few hours of testing. I too am hoping that I find out a little more about my problem areas.

I've never been to a psychologist let alone a neuropsychologist so it's a little intimidating. But I think this is the best place I will be able to find care for a concussion in the Pittsburgh area.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

"Starr" 04-25-2013 08:42 PM

I just had mine done a couple weeks ago and it was a long, tiring day. Plan for the next day or two to be quiet days... in fact, it took me over a week to really feel like I'd recovered from the testing, I was very tired. Slept a lot, almost like I had the flu, without being sick.

Nothing to do to prepare, just try to get a good sleep before, eat your breakfast and go in prepared to do your best at whatever they put in front of you. Know that some of the tests are designed to be difficult and that's ok... its not like a test at school where you are expected to know everything and do everything perfectly.

I was really nervous before mine too... but really, its ok... the person giving the test was very understanding and it didn't feel like a judgmental environment or anything like that.

Just breathe ... that was my motto of the day ;)

Starr

Su seb 04-26-2013 06:53 PM

Test

I did mine ten days ago. It was about five hours long. It was very interesting to see that on parts of the tests I couldn't answer a single problem and on other ares I did just fine.

Someone...maybe Starr?...posted her results a few days back and just reading through that would give you a good idea of what you are going to be doing during the test. She also posted the recommendations that were given. That is what I am also looking forward to reading next week. I need more help with work arounds.

Also, eat a decent meal before the test. That is a long time to go without eating.
Su seb

takinxanax 04-27-2013 04:21 PM

My husband had one a few months ago. It was a lot of face-to-face talking, filling out questionnaires and computer tests. The doctor that tested him was very thorough and it took weeks to get any results which was very frustrating. We ended up with a 20 page written report that is kind of hard to read but very informative and clear. I have to say the doctor nailed it because it explains all the problems we have been going through. We didn't get good recommendations though-which we should have.