NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Morphine withdrawl...OMG (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/187702-morphine-withdrawl-omg.html)

cali4nia 04-29-2013 03:39 PM

Morphine withdrawl...OMG

I have been taking morphine for 6 months for chronic neck pain. I received some injections last week, nerve blocks, they have made my pain about 60% better. I have decided to stop taking any opiates. I slowly tapered my meds like my Dr said.

OMG...I feel so horrible! I'm 36 hours into it and it's getting worse. My entire body hurts so bad it's unbearable at times, I'm having hot flashes, then I'm cold, my head hurts and I'm very nauseous. I have heard that it is gonna' get worse still and this is just the beginning...I've also heard that your blood pressure can rise to an unsafe level...is this true? I swear if I get any worse I might have to go to the ER..but then I'll look like an idiot...oh Hi I'm here to get drugs for coming off drugs...

anyone have any words of advise...I feel so horrible and I'm starting to have crazy emotions, crying and depressed.

mg neck prob 04-29-2013 03:51 PM

Hi Cal ,

Does your dr know your attempting withdrawl of morphine on your own after 6 months is very serious. There are meds and thing the dr can give you to help withdraw symptoms--- u should be under dr care during this time --esp after 6 months. Please call your DR let them know what your doing you might want to go to the e.r is pretty dangerous to do this on your own. Please let me know what happens.

cali4nia 04-29-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mg neck prob (Post 979275)
Hi Cal ,

Does your dr know your attempting withdrawl of morphine on your own after 6 months is very serious. There are meds and thing the dr can give you to help withdraw symptoms--- u should be under dr care during this time --esp after 6 months. Please call your DR let them know what your doing you might want to go to the e.r is pretty dangerous to do this on your own. Please let me know what happens.

The crazy thing is that I did talk to him about it. He seemed to treat it like it was just a simple thing to do. No talk of anything about anything. He just told me to slowly taper the amount down over a few days then to stop taking it. I just called my Dr. and he's booked, I told them what was going on and they just said to "go to the ER if you can't take it"...:confused:

Leesa 04-29-2013 04:11 PM

How "slowly" are you tapering? This should be a VERY slow taper, and under a doctors supervision! You should NOT be doing this alone!! The outcome could be serious.

Your doctor SHOULD have given you a weaning schedule, and made sure that you had enough morphine in order to follow the schedule. Or else, he should have given you some lesser medications to allow you to get off the morphine, but doing it like you are sounds like it's just not working like it should be. You should NOT be in this much pain, and shouldn't be having such serious withdrawal symptoms.

When I weaned off ALL my meds, I didn't feel like YOU are feeling! In fact, I felt pretty good, but I had enough meds to do it, plus my doctor "had my back." So get back to your doc and have him give you a schedule and enough meds to see to it that you can get thru this with the LEAST amount of withdrawal symptoms!!

I wish you the very best of luck! It can be done if your doc is willing! God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee ;)

cali4nia 04-29-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leesa (Post 979282)
How "slowly" are you tapering? This should be a VERY slow taper, and under a doctors supervision! You should NOT be doing this alone!! The outcome could be serious.

Your doctor SHOULD have given you a weaning schedule, and made sure that you had enough morphine in order to follow the schedule. Or else, he should have given you some lesser medications to allow you to get off the morphine, but doing it like you are sounds like it's just not working like it should be. You should NOT be in this much pain, and shouldn't be having such serious withdrawal symptoms.

When I weaned off ALL my meds, I didn't feel like YOU are feeling! In fact, I felt pretty good, but I had enough meds to do it, plus my doctor "had my back." So get back to your doc and have him give you a schedule and enough meds to see to it that you can get thru this with the LEAST amount of withdrawal symptoms!!

I wish you the very best of luck! It can be done if your doc is willing! God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee ;)

My Dr just had me wean off over one week. Because I was taking slow release capsules he said you can only taper it so much....you'd think he'd give me some that aren't slow release just for this purpose...???

Anyways, I'm almost a full 48 hours w/o any It can't possibly get much worse and If that's the case I should be able to endure...fingers crossed

ginnie 04-29-2013 06:17 PM

Hi cali4nia

Hi, I sure hope you decide to call your doctor. Doing the withdrawl on your own is very very hard to do. I took morphine for almost 12 years, and I had alot of very good help to get off the drug last year. It was still horrible. I know about those symptons you are experiencing. Call your doctor, and taylor that medication down 15 mgs. at a time. Even doing it that way with kolonopin was very hard for me. I have been off now for 8 months. It is worth it to get off the medicaiton, but you need some help. ginnie:hug:

eva5667faliure 05-08-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mg neck prob (Post 979275)
Hi Cal ,

ditto ditto ditto ditto
call the doctor
it most certainly not safe
there is a better way
use your doctor now
more than ever
you did not ask to be on
such strong meds
praying

someone who cares

eva5667faliure 05-08-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali4nia (Post 979281)
The crazy thing is that I did talk to him about it. He seemed to treat it like it was just a simple thing to do. No talk of anything about anything. He just told me to slowly taper the amount down over a few days then to stop taking it. I just called my Dr. and he's booked, I told them what was going on and they just said to "go to the ER if you can't take it"...:confused:

are you ******* kidding me
are they *******kidding me
go to the hospital
and have yourself taken care of
plezzzzzzzzzzz

someone who cares

johnme 05-09-2013 03:35 PM

For me on morphine from a bad 3- level fusion, only for 3-months. The doctor thought that oxycodone would be my bridge. No way ! After day two I wanted to die ! My wife called the morphine hot line and we were told , well get back on or three more days things should turn and did. I never will believe a doctor again about withdrawl unless they are a pain doctor. I did climb out of hell.
Still on meds. in lower levels and have a great pain team now.
Good luck :]

leoski11 06-11-2013 10:32 AM

You should be over the physical issues after a week. The emotional addiction may take a couple of months depending on total daily dose.