NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Any one have the PN, "MPFS"? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/18776-pn-mpfs.html)

MPFS? 05-02-2007 07:08 PM

Any one have the PN, "MPFS"?

MPFS = Muscular Pain Fasciculation Syndrome. It was named in a Journal of Neurology article by Hudson et al (1978). I have had it for 17 years and have had many MDs and many ineffective treatments. I have yet to find anyone else with this idiopathic syndrome. If you have small twitches in both calves with aching that extends up into your hamstrings, you may also have this syndrome. Sometimes, larger, non-painful twitches will occur anywhere in the body. It is NOT characterized by cramps, spasms, weakness, numbness, wasting, etc. Just fasciculations (small twitches) and aching, bilaterally in the calves. Sometimes the fasciculation are more felt (electric but not shock-like) than seen.

If anyone has this, I sure would like to start a dialog.

Thanks.

"MPFS?"

rfinney 05-02-2007 09:01 PM

Welocme . . .

Thanks for your post. I don't know if any of our regulars have MPFS or not - altho I would guess not as I might recall it. I do know a number of us have had fasciculations, but as a more limited subset of PN. I used to occasionally experience them (I still do get strong and painful cramps, but as you said - those are not related to MPFS) - - but since I started taking magnesium (and calcium) they have essentially disappeared.

I am guessing that you may either be taking magnesium, or have tried it. I wonder if it made any difference in your situation. We have a very active and excellent board here . . . lots of great folks with quite a varied background. A number of us have scientific backgrounds (or are self-taught) of one sort or another. And some of us are even likable :)

rafi

Aussie99 05-03-2007 01:04 AM

Hello

I have the problem you mentioned, it's always been worse in my left calf. I am not certain if this is as a result of the syndrome in my case,as I thing a number of disorders can cause this problem. I have small fibre neuropathy in most of my body.

I have the twitching as a result of nerve damage/regeneration I beleive. I am also on calcium/magnesium.

mrsD 05-03-2007 08:32 AM

yes, ditto the magnesium...

I discovered magnesium decades ago for my twitches. I no longer have them.
But if I skip my mag...I do get tight painful muscles now to remind me!

This thread has magnesium information and how to choose a good supplement:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1138

Balancing with calcium is important, as well as getting enough potassium in the diet and essential fatty acids.

MPFS? 05-07-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfinney (Post 94205)
Thanks for your post. I don't know if any of our regulars have MPFS or not - altho I would guess not as I might recall it. I do know a number of us have had fasciculations, but as a more limited subset of PN. I used to occasionally experience them (I still do get strong and painful cramps, but as you said - those are not related to MPFS) - - but since I started taking magnesium (and calcium) they have essentially disappeared.

I am guessing that you may either be taking magnesium, or have tried it. I wonder if it made any difference in your situation. We have a very active and excellent board here . . . lots of great folks with quite a varied background. A number of us have scientific backgrounds (or are self-taught) of one sort or another. And some of us are even likable :)

rafi

Hi. Thanks. Yes, tried every nutritional supplement known to mankind, including calcium and magnesium. Fasiculations are just annoying, it's the aching muscle pain that seems to be wrecking my life. There is a separate syndrome call (muscular) cramp-fasiculation syndrome. This site has promise but I find it very hard to use/navigate.

MPFS? 05-07-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie99 (Post 94287)
I have the problem you mentioned, it's always been worse in my left calf. I am not certain if this is as a result of the syndrome in my case,as I thing a number of disorders can cause this problem. I have small fibre neuropathy in most of my body.

I have the twitching as a result of nerve damage/regeneration I beleive. I am also on calcium/magnesium.

I would encourage you to obtain and carefully read the Hudson et al 1978 "The Muscular Pain-Fasciculation Syndrom" in the Journal of Neurology. If your symptoms match those in the article, then you probably have it.

MPFS? 05-07-2007 10:29 AM

My calves are aching, they are not tight. I have tried magnesium and tons of other nutritionals. John Seneff has written extensively on Nutrition for Neuropathy and I was on his program for years. Lots of magnesium, all forms of Bs, primrose oil, fish oil, too many to remember. Wish they helped but they don't, twitching and aching still there. Have had lots of nutritional testing, too, hair, blood, urine; no deficiencies.

rfinney 05-08-2007 09:14 PM

MPFS?,

Sorry you are having trouble navigating the site. If you have specific questions or concerns, please post them. You can just add to this thread or start a new one. You will get lots of help.

rafi

MPFS? 05-15-2007 02:25 PM

MPFS/Websites

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfinney (Post 96903)
MPFS?,

Sorry you are having trouble navigating the site. If you have specific questions or concerns, please post them. You can just add to this thread or start a new one. You will get lots of help.

rafi

Had MPFS (idiopathic PN) for 17 years so have run gauntlet of testing, MDs, meds, supplements, unconventional treatments. Can't find anybody, anywhere, any website that has this condition. Yet, at least 4-5 scientific articles have been written about it, Hudson et al 1978 being most prominent. Just looking for some one else with MPFS. If they found satifactory, treatment, maybe I could use it (!!)

rfinney 05-15-2007 09:03 PM

Hmmm, that must be somewhat upsetting . . . to find no one with your disorder. I just did a very quick search and I didn't come up with a definitive hit. I did find this post - might be worthwhile to contact both parties:

What have you tried in terms of searching? Search engines can be very hard to configure correctly to return the info you need. Have you looked on specific neurological forums, other than this one?

rafi