NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   New to forum, recurring ON (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/187943-forum-recurring.html)

used2party 05-03-2013 04:00 PM

New to forum, recurring ON

Hey everyone,
This is my first post on the forum, and seen some great responses so far thats encouraged me to join!
I'm a 25 Year old male, been DX with MS for about a year now. Have had 7 clinical attacks over this time.
Started on a DMD and it has worked wonders for me with only 1 attack in the past 4 months since starting it. My main problem has been optic neuritis.
Of the 7 attacks 3 have been optic neuritis. First time lasted about 4 months followed up by more mild incident in the other eye. Have experienced it in both eyes.
The most recent attack was very painful. Lost a lot of my vision, but has since started healing but I've noticed problems that haven't subsided since the attack. Colors are permanently dim, have a flicker of light in my direct vision in both eyes, blurriness, hard time focusing and problems with distances.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Main reason i ask is because i don't feel comfortable driving no more, and don't know if these problems will subside or are permanent.
Thanks for listening!

Used2Party

NurseNancy 05-03-2013 05:29 PM

dear used2

welcome to NT. i'm glad you decided to join.
i don't know much about ON but i know others will.
have you seen an opthamologist? a neuro opthomologist?

has your dr thought any steroids would help your eyes?

does your dr know about ALL your episodes and sx's (symptoms)?

i hope your dr is in the loop on all this and validates your concerns.
please keep us posted.

tkrik 05-04-2013 02:09 PM

Welcome to NT U2P!

My bout with ON was mild compared to what you are experiencing. I know that others on here have experienced ON such as you have described. I am sure they will be along to answer your questions.

I know that steroids for ON are very helpful especially if started within the first 72 hours of an attack. I could be wrong, but I believe that ON eventually resolves. For some, the symptoms resolve completely and for others they are left with some symptoms. Again, I could be wrong. I have been fortunate that my episodes of ON have resolved with no lingering symptoms.

Hang in there and please let us know how you are doing.:hug:

ginnie 05-04-2013 06:19 PM

Hello used 2

Welcome to Neuro Talk. You found a great site for information and friendship. My cousin has MS, so I have empathy for what you are experiencing. "dee" still drives, and did have trouble with vision at one time. She has had MS for about 20 years. I sure hope your symptoms improve. Alot of folks have MS on this site. Again welcome and make yourself feel at home. ginnie:hug:

Debbie D 05-04-2013 09:11 PM

Just here to welcome you to NT...loads of info from people who have boatloads of experience with this stupid, horrible disease...and also support, hugs, tears and laughs.
Keep us up to date...we send out thoughts and prayers...:hug:

used2party 05-06-2013 03:22 AM

hey everyone thanks for the replies!
My Neuro knows about all the episodes ya. Never had the steroids because was misdiagnosed the first time by eye doctor and last few i had just started a DMD.
The worst parts are subsided just the patchy spots and colors and focus. Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced after effects after an attack of ON. Got an appointment with a new eye doctor in a few weeks, will update about the results once i know!