NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Vitamin E Deficiency and PN (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/187970-vitamin-deficiency-pn.html)

codyc 05-04-2013 08:39 AM

Vitamin E Deficiency and PN

I have had PN for over 15 years. Cause is unknown, but other family members have had it. I have been able to keep mine limited to my feet and toes through healthy eating, supplements (R-Lipoic, ALC etc.) and exercise. Over the years have been checked for various deficiencies such as Vitamin B, but my levels were always good.

Last year I had an extensive test done to check for other Vitamin deficiencies because I was having some other health problems. One deficiency found was Vitamin E. A month ago I started taking Now Foods, Advanced Gamma E Complex (tried other Vitamin E types previously, but they didn't show results) and my PN has significantly improved over the past month. It is the only real change that I have made in my healthy habits.

We will see if improvements continue, but I am encouraged. My feet feel better than they have in 15 years.

I have read up and Vitamin E deficiency can be one cause of idiopathic neuropathy.

mrsD 05-04-2013 08:56 AM

That is really interesting. I have heard that low E can affect the nervous system. Dr. Latov does test for this.

Here is an article with some food sources:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rient&dbid=111

I wonder how many here have this problem?

groucho 05-04-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codyc (Post 980603)
A month ago I started taking Now Foods, Advanced Gamma E Complex (tried other Vitamin E types previously, but they didn't show results) and my PN has significantly improved over the past month. It is the only real change that I have made in my healthy habits.

We will see if improvements continue, but I am encouraged. My feet feel better than they have in 15 years.

I have read up and Vitamin E deficiency can be one cause of idiopathic neuropathy.

I have toyed with the idea of trying vitamin E, as I strongly believe it helped me with the "standard male use" for it, after a lengthy illness, way back in my early 30's . As my Dr said, "it won't hurt you. keep taking it".

I see Puritans Pride carries an E, which has the "mix" you describe. Were the other E's that you tried made of this mix, or were they a plain vitamin E? I plan to order the mix before the day is out & if it helps me, I will add it to your post, ASAP. I assume you are taking one 400iu capsule daily?

I've tried various B's and other vitamins,with no avail, but I haven't given up yet.

mrsD 05-04-2013 01:11 PM

You will want to get the "natural" forms of E, not the synthetic.

Synthetic ends in --yl tocopheryl...

The naturals end in --ol. Gamma is now available singly as well.

codyc 05-04-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groucho (Post 980655)
I have toyed with the idea of trying vitamin E, as I strongly believe it helped me with the "standard male use" for it, after a lengthy illness, way back in my early 30's . As my Dr said, "it won't hurt you. keep taking it".

I see Puritans Pride carries an E, which has the "mix" you describe. Were the other E's that you tried made of this mix, or were they a plain vitamin E? I plan to order the mix before the day is out & if it helps me, I will add it to your post, ASAP. I assume you are taking one 400iu capsule daily?

I've tried various B's and other vitamins,with no avail, but I haven't given up yet.

The others I tried were just plain Vitamin E - the synthetic ones. I then learned about Now-Foods-Gamma-E-Complex-Advanced that I buy from iherb. I have been taking this one for a month and have noticed a big improvement - .

groucho 05-04-2013 02:51 PM

As Mrs D said, I did take notice that the PP brand (which may be the maker of the brand you are taking) is of the natural E variety. I really don't remember if I took the "real stuff" 30+ years ago, but if I'm going to do it, no point in cheaping out. The PP brand is considerably cheaper than the brand you are taking, though, and right now is a buy one, get 2 free sale.

Are you taking just one 400iu capsule daily, or are you taking more? I'll add to your post after I've given them 3-4 weeks, and let you know of any improvement. I got to say, though, I really just eat what I like & it's not healthy, but a year of so ago, I added a multivitamin. I have a great dislike for most veggies and seafoods. I know what you're thinking, but if I can't enjoy what I eat, you might as well put me in a box right now. Hey, I did quit smoking 6 years ago, after 40 years of the habit. LOL

codyc 05-04-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groucho (Post 980691)
As Mrs D said, I did take notice that the PP brand (which may be the maker of the brand you are taking) is of the natural E variety. I really don't remember if I took the "real stuff" 30+ years ago, but if I'm going to do it, no point in cheaping out. The PP brand is considerably cheaper than the brand you are taking, though, and right now is a buy one, get 2 free sale.

Are you taking just one 400iu capsule daily, or are you taking more? I'll add to your post after I've given them 3-4 weeks, and let you know of any improvement. I got to say, though, I really just eat what I like & it's not healthy, but a year of so ago, I added a multivitamin. I have a great dislike for most veggies and seafoods. I know what you're thinking, but if I can't enjoy what I eat, you might as well put me in a box right now. Hey, I did quit smoking 6 years ago, after 40 years of the habit. LOL

I take 400 iu daily :)

Sallysblooms 05-04-2013 04:02 PM

Yes, vit. E is so good. I take a good one daily.:)

Idiopathic PN 05-04-2013 08:07 PM

Cody,

What vitamins have you been tested on?

I would assume that long years of vitamin E deficient or any vitamin for that matter will affect your nerves.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by codyc (Post 980603)
I have had PN for over 15 years. Cause is unknown, but other family members have had it. I have been able to keep mine limited to my feet and toes through healthy eating, supplements (R-Lipoic, ALC etc.) and exercise. Over the years have been checked for various deficiencies such as Vitamin B, but my levels were always good.

Last year I had an extensive test done to check for other Vitamin deficiencies because I was having some other health problems. One deficiency found was Vitamin E. A month ago I started taking Now Foods, Advanced Gamma E Complex (tried other Vitamin E types previously, but they didn't show results) and my PN has significantly improved over the past month. It is the only real change that I have made in my healthy habits.

Aussie99 05-05-2013 06:05 AM

Vitamin E

When I told my GP that I was on vitamin E (most likely taking the synthetic one) unknowingly, she told me to throw them away because they have been killing people??? That scared me and I did as my GP told me to do.

Why would she say that??