NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   I'm about to get a Hysterectomy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/188056-im-hysterectomy.html)

Stricky 05-06-2013 10:55 AM

I'm about to get a Hysterectomy

Hi all, I have peripheral nueropathy. I was diagnosis 8 years ago. My calves have atrophied. I'm about to get a pre op exam for a hysterectomy (laparoscopic) in a few hours and set the surgery date. Last year my gyno told me not to get one because of my PN. Now, a new gyno says yes to surgery and it will be ok. I'm reading around that a hysterectomy can give PN. I thought omg, I don't need to be worse. :(

Has anyone have a hysterectomy that had PN before? How are you doing or feeling?

Any tips or help will help

Aussie99 05-06-2013 04:43 PM

Hi

I have no had a hysterectomy, but I have had major spine surgery which did not make me any worse from a PN perspective. In fact I notice that when I have something else going On it drowns out the noise from the PN. Don't be scared.

Laurell 05-06-2013 06:50 PM

A year and a half after having a hysterectomy, I suffered a severe bout of cellulitis in a neuropathic foot, and that's when I became aware that I had neuropathy. (My main symptom is numbness.) I don't know if anything involved in the hysterectomy (anesthesia, drugs, hormonal changes) was related to my onset of neuropathy. I kept my ovaries.

Stricky 05-08-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie99 (Post 981192)
I have no had a hysterectomy, but I have had major spine surgery which did not make me any worse from a PN perspective. In fact I notice that when I have something else going On it drowns out the noise from the PN. Don't be scared.

Thx for your reply. Well, now I have read that I shouldn't be using anesthesia. I have some more researching to do. I hope you are doing better. PN can be a pain. I have it very bad. I'm used to it but don't want to it to be worse.

Stricky 05-08-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurell (Post 981217)
A year and a half after having a hysterectomy, I suffered a severe bout of cellulitis in a neuropathic foot, and that's when I became aware that I had neuropathy. (My main symptom is numbness.) I don't know if anything involved in the hysterectomy (anesthesia, drugs, hormonal changes) was related to my onset of neuropathy. I kept my ovaries.

Yes, I feel the numbness all the time. If I eat sweets, it is worse. I'm getting rid of my ovaries. By the way, my surgery date is July 1st.

pabb 05-09-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stricky (Post 981958)
Yes, I feel the numbness all the time. If I eat sweets, it is worse. I'm getting rid of my ovaries. By the way, my surgery date is July 1st.

for what reason are they doing a hyst?