NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   MG & operations (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/188386-mg-operations.html)

AaLF 05-12-2013 01:52 PM

MG & operations

My wife was diagnosed with ocular MG 9 years ago. Things are fine apart from a 'double vision' effect. Nothing else has happened. Her family doctor doesn't believe its MG.

PROBLEM - she has a BMI of 46. Muchly overweight and seriously needs a gastric sleeve stomach op. to lose weight.

We don't have a neurologist for a few years now. The last one was obnoxious & my wife refuses to return.

So.......... tell about MG (ocular) & operations. Is it safe to 'go under' with ocular MG?

Fortunatos 05-12-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaLF (Post 982920)
Her family doctor doesn't believe its MG.

Hello AaLF, :) Is this "family doctor" knowledgeable about MG, or have a special interest in Ocular MG, or say, had numerous MG patients? I'm in no position to say h/she is wrong--I simply can't imagine not having the support of my family doctor.

I would suggest that another neurologist be consulted prior to surgery, either by your wife, or by the surgeon, for peace of mind.

I am hopeful that your wife has seen an Ophthalmologist, preferably, a Neuro-ophthalmologist, though this discipline can be hard to find.

Juanitad 05-12-2013 10:46 PM

You also need to make sure the anesthesiologist knows how to handle mg if you go ahead with the surgery. They can make all the difference in the world. Good luck!

AnnieB3 05-13-2013 01:47 AM

Hi, AaLF. Welcome.

Is your wife certain that she only has ocular MG? It's possible that a significant surgery like that could make it become generalized. Surgery is a big trauma on the body.

There are programs out there like Slimgenics that are very good at helping people loose weight, in a more scientific approach. They aren't like weight watchers, etc. It can be hard to exercise with generalized MG but if she has only ocular MG, she should be able to get some instruction on how to do that very easily.

If you say what city/state you live in, maybe someone here can direct you to a nice neurologist. She really needs to see one BEFORE any surgery!

We aren't doctors! She really needs to be reassessed before making any big decision like this.

Losing weight is hard but it can be done. It really helps to have at least one other person who is doing it so that she can get support.

I wish her the best of luck!

Annie

Fortunatos 05-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juanitad (Post 983030)
You also need to make sure the anesthesiologist knows how to handle mg if you go ahead with the surgery. They can make all the difference in the world. Good luck!

Juanitad, Absolutely! Excellent point--they ARE the operation!