NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   eye drops (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/188599-eye-drops.html)

adamrach 05-16-2013 10:03 AM

eye drops

Does anyone have high eye pressure from the prednisone? And what eye drops are safe for us to take?

Fortunatos 05-16-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamrach (Post 984027)
Does anyone have high eye pressure from the prednisone? And what eye drops are safe for us to take?

Hello Adamrach, Good news...:) Eye drops are generally tolerated really, really well, by Mgers. Most of the drops, Beta Blockers for example, are on our caution list, but it's only a 2/4 caution. You'll want to make certain that your doctor knows about MG, and about any other conditions. Beta Blockers are contraindicated in other diseases. I have encountered no difficulties to date.

I'm down to one kind of eye drop, a beta blocker... down from four different kinds of drops, in a matter of six months. The irony is, Adam, one of the drops was Prenisolone...(steroids...!) To be clear, my eye pressure was not caused by steroids, however, we're both in the same MG club.

They will instruct you as to how to place gentle pressure (eye closed) on your duct to prevent as much drainage as possible, from entering your system.

I cannot express enough, the importance of these drops. I may not be the most "compliant" patient....:wink: but when it comes to my vision, nothing stands in my way--not MG, nothing. I behave....:D

I'm very interested, Adam--please keep me posted.

neutro 05-16-2013 02:14 PM

Hi Adamrach,
I have glaucoma in both eyes due to high dose pred (75 mg/d for several months) and I take 2 types of drops:
-bimatoprost, 0.3mg/ml, one drop evenings,
-brinzolamide, 10mg/ml,one drop mornings and evenings.
(those are active constituant names rather than brand names)
Indeed, beta blockers are to be avoided...
Maurice.

Fortunatos 05-16-2013 02:36 PM

Neutro said..., " I have glaucoma in both eyes..."

As do I, Maurice...:)

AnnieB3 05-17-2013 01:10 AM

Adamrach, Do you have an eye doctor who is prescribing you eye drops? Perhaps you can ask them what the options are, do research on them (here or elsewhere) and then also ask your neurologist about it.

Pharmacists are also a good place to check in with, especially since you can not only have adverse effects from one drug but interactions with any others you might be taking.

Fotunatos, It really depends upon the person. The way you stated your response, it sounded like you were talking about all eye drops out there. There are many drops, such as those given by eye doctors, that can make MGers much worse. The drops with Atropine in them can make someone with bad bulbar symptoms choke their eyes out.

Adamrach, I think it's important for you to speak to your doctors.

Annie

http://myasthenia.org/LinkClick.aspx...JuFvZPPq2vg%3d

adamrach 05-17-2013 08:02 AM

I am on travitan, azropt, and alphagan.

Fortunatos 05-17-2013 08:20 AM

Annie said, "...Fotunatos, It really depends upon the person..."

I agree with you Annie; which is why I said, "Generally..." In one of my posts, you will see that myasthenics are referred to as "Snowflakes..."

My information comes from several sources. As well, I am under the care of an Ophthalmologist, and a Neuro-Ophthalmologist, who has a special interest in Myasthenia Gravis. We are very lucky to have him.

Fortunatos 05-17-2013 08:54 AM

Adam said, "...I am on travitan, azropt, and alphagan..."

Hello Adam, I was on Alphagan. :) It can sting...! The drops take a bit of practise so not to worry if you miss. I still hit the eyelashes or the cheek, every once in a while. It's really important that we follow our doctors' instructions, with these medications. If you have any concerns, let your doctor know. There are others meds out there.

Did he tell you what your pressures are?

Please keep me posted....

limpy 05-17-2013 12:08 PM

Also, you need to make sure you don't have narrow angle glaucoma because some eye drops, (antihistamine) and other OTC and prescription drugs that have the effect of dilating the eyes can make narrow angle glaucoma worse and even lead to complete closure resulting in optic nerve damage and even blindness.

adamrach 05-18-2013 07:09 AM

[QUOTE=Fortunatos;984265]Adam said, "...I am on travitan, azropt, and alphagan..."

Hello Adam, I was on Alphagan. :) It can sting...! The drops take a bit of practise so not to worry if you miss. I still hit the eyelashes or the cheek, every once in a while. It's really important that we follow our doctors' instructions, with these medications. If you have any concerns, let your doctor know. There are others meds out there.

Did he tell you what your pressures are?

Please keep me posted....[/QUOTE
My eye pressures are 30 and 31.