NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Mestinon and prednisone dosages (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/188617-mestinon-prednisone-dosages.html)

edwinlgreen 05-16-2013 08:29 PM

Mestinon and prednisone dosages

First visit to neurologists today. MG diagnosis by ophthalmologist from blood tests confirmed. Chest scan scheduled as well as muscle tests.

The medicines prescribed to start now have me concerned. Mestinon generic (Pryidostigmine) of 60 MG twice a day seems in line with others. First dosage today was not effective.

Prednisone generic dosage of 4 (20MG) tablets every day for 2 weeks, then 3 every day for 2 weeks, then 2 every day seems to not be in align with others on this board. The initial dosage of 80 MG per days seems high and ramping down instead of up seems to be contrary to others who have provided input.
To start Prednisone tomorrow.

Any comments from anyone.

edwinlgreen 05-16-2013 09:02 PM

I believe I have answered my own concerns. I found a medical board that stated that some doctors prescribe slow starts where muscle fatigue (MG Crisis candidates) is dominate as a precaution, other times they start with high dosages when eyes issues are the predominate issue.

huntress 05-16-2013 09:59 PM

when you go on prednisone they do reduce your mestinon/pyridostigmine dosage usually. I used to take 90mg every 4 hours, and then a mestinon slow release at night but they cut the slow release completely and I now take 60mg, 3x a day. They wanted to reduce it to 30 3x a day but I didn't feel it was enough so my doctor agreed. I am on 60mg of prednisone and now 150mg azathioprine too. Good luck, keep in mind that if you feel anything never hesitate to contact your neuro. Thats what they are there for.

4-eyes 05-16-2013 10:03 PM

That is a TON of pred to be hitting yourself with. Let me suggest you get up and take it no later than 7 am or you will have almost no chance of sleep the next night. Take with food, too.

That high dose could possibly cause an exacerbation of the MG. It can be serious, so be careful and don't be afraid to call the doc if you have problems or questions.

Good luck! Hope it works well!

Fortunatos 05-17-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinlgreen (Post 984149)
First visit to neurologists today. MG diagnosis by ophthalmologist from blood tests confirmed. Chest scan scheduled as well as muscle tests.

The medicines prescribed to start now have me concerned. Mestinon generic (Pryidostigmine) of 60 MG twice a day seems in line with others. First dosage today was not effective.

Prednisone generic dosage of 4 (20MG) tablets every day for 2 weeks, then 3 every day for 2 weeks, then 2 every day seems to not be in align with others on this board. The initial dosage of 80 MG per days seems high and ramping down instead of up seems to be contrary to others who have provided input.
To start Prednisone tomorrow.

Any comments from anyone.

After all these years, Edwin, I never know whether to say "welcome to the club" or "I'm sorry..." I suppose I mean both. It's always interesting to see how differently doctors prescribe. I started 80 mg a day, split dose. I had a bit of trouble with it. Furture doses were started, much lower. We can be referred to as * Snowflakes--none of us is alike.

*Bette Swann's old MG site

AnnieB3 05-17-2013 01:01 AM

May I call you Edwin? Is that your name?

Call your doctor. Tell him your concerns.

Are you doing badly right now?

4-eyes is right about Pred temporarily making you worse before you get better. And it could take awhile to make the larger muscles groups better.

Also, it is very easy to get "hooked" on Pred and it comes with a load of side effects. Many MG experts don't even go to Pred unless a patient is near a crisis. Even then, the hospital might be the place to start it via Solu-Medrol and then tablets if you are doing that badly.

Have you ever taken steroids before? Do you know how they might affect you?

You are in charge of your health. Yes, you need your MG as controlled as possible but you are an equal partner in making those disease management decisions.

I hope you have already called your doctor. Please don't rely on the Internet for that kind of critical advice!

Annie