NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   PN and erectile dysfunction (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/188719-pn-erectile-dysfunction.html)

rmberwin 05-18-2013 08:32 PM

PN and erectile dysfunction

Has anyone experienced ED related to PN. Any suggestions?

glenntaj 05-19-2013 07:25 AM

Erectile dysfunction is actually very common--

--for those afflicted with peripheral neuropathy, especially those whose neuropathy stems from diabetes or other conditions (and there are a lot of them) that affect the small, thinly myelinated and unmyelinated fibers, which include the autonomic or involuntary nerve responses. In addition to the actual damage to the nerve fibers the nitric oxide pathways are often disturbed in these conditions and lack of circulation allows metabolic toxins to build up and prevents vital nutrients and oxygen from getting into the areas in the concentrations they should.

Of course, it's often hard to ascertain to what degree the dysfunction is due to the neuropathy processes and to what degree it's due to any one of many other factors that can contribute to it--particularly the circulatory compromise we have a tendency to get as we become older.

As such, anything that helps nerves and circulation is likely to be helpful for the dysfunction, though nothing is a panacea. Particularly essential fatty acids such as found in fish, flax or krill oil are recommended, as is as much exercise as is tolerable.

029anser 05-19-2013 12:18 PM

my $.02

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmberwin (Post 984664)
Has anyone experienced ED related to PN. Any suggestions?

wonder how many men with a dx of pn had ed before?

probably many...would make a nice study

perhaps ed might be an early warning sign of future pn?

just a thought

Joe Duffer 05-19-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 029anser (Post 984811)
wonder how many men with a dx of pn had ed before?

probably many...would make a nice study

perhaps ed might be an early warning sign of future pn?

just a thought

I believe ED can also be a side effect of the many pain-killing drugs so often Rx for PN.

BTW... do you still game an 029 Anser?

029anser 05-21-2013 12:44 PM

hey Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Duffer (Post 984899)
I believe ED can also be a side effect of the many pain-killing drugs so often Rx for PN.

BTW... do you still game an 029 Anser?

yes, still in the bag and has been since 1969....but rarely play now due to cidp

Aussie99 05-22-2013 03:32 AM

ED

I was told some years ago that my dad has ED from many years of undiagnosed diabetes. But I am not suppose to know this about dad therefore it's something I haven't thought about. However I was told he does not take any meds but uses some sort of pump to help with the erection. It's safe and from what I have been told effective.

Although he is 64 and logically speaking some of the ED may be from lack of libido and age??

Aussie