NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   nortriptyline (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/188864-nortriptyline.html)

anon22217 05-21-2013 11:45 PM

nortriptyline

Hi, Can someone help me! I'm just curious about what exactly nortriptyline does? Does it help with anxiety? Does it do anything to help heal the brain?

Thank you so much.

Mark in Idaho 05-22-2013 12:01 AM

No drugs will help heal the brain. Nortriptyline is a tricyclic anti-depressant. It is commonly used to help with head aches and insomnia.

At the dose commonly prescribed for PCS, there may not be as much anxti-anxiety value.

What are you doing to reduce anxiety triggers ?

anon22217 05-22-2013 12:49 AM

Hi Mark, Thank you for the reply.

I am being perscribed 40 mg a day of it. Will it help with my anxiety at all? I do think I really need something to help with my anxiety. Thank you again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 985582)
No drugs will help heal the brain. Nortriptyline is a tricyclic anti-depressant. It is commonly used to help with head aches and insomnia.

At the dose commonly prescribed for PCS, there may not be as much anxti-anxiety value.

What are you doing to reduce anxiety triggers ?

berkeleybrain 05-22-2013 12:25 PM

Mark had suggested L-Tryptophan on a different thread for anxiety. I was having more panic attacks and wanted to curb increasing my dosage of propanolol.

I have found that it really works! I feel more "mellow" and I have less attacks.

These meds are all meant to be crutches to help us get better.

anon22217 05-22-2013 04:19 PM

Thank you! I will look into that. I did a search for it and Mark had mentioned that I shouldnt be taking it with nortriptyline.

I think its an awful cycle. I know my stress levels are really awful right now from in injury and symptoms which is probably exasperating and slowing down my recovery. It's such a viscious cycle. I myself also feel like I'm on the verge of panic attacks at certain points. I'm considering anti anxity medications whcih I really want to stay away from but then on the other hand I dont want the stress to get the better of my recovery and that maybe its necessary for me at this point in order to stop the vicious cycle.

I think I will try some natural approaches first. I am currently taking Kavinance which I'm not sure is helping and also one dose of L-Theanine. I wll do some research on other stress managing possiblities in terms of vitamins.

Thank you so much .

Noland 05-23-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehiroko (Post 985578)
Hi, Can someone help me! I'm just curious about what exactly nortriptyline does? Does it help with anxiety? Does it do anything to help heal the brain?

Thank you so much.

I tried nortriptyline for 3 weeks in March to help with my PCS headaches and symptoms. I felt awful during the third week when i double the dosage to 20 mg from 10mg. The 10 mg wasnt doing much either way for me. I feel like I was sleeping worse and tossing and turning all night on the meds. I also had my worst week with depression while on the nortriptyline. My wife definitely saw a negative change in me while on this med.

A new doctor is starting me on a similar drug this week-disiprimine.