NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Homocysteine is a link between Parkinson’s disease and depression (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/188990-homocysteine-link-parkinson-disease-depression.html)

olsen 05-24-2013 07:32 AM

Homocysteine is a link between Parkinson’s disease and depression

Homocysteine is a link between Parkinson’s disease and depression

By Geoff Michaels, May 23rd, 2013
http://www.newsfix.ca/2013/05/23/hom...nd-depression/

A study finds out that high levels of homocysteine make a patient with Parkinson’s disease more likely to suffer from depression.
We already know that elevated levels of the amino acid homocysteine are a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. And high levels are also linked to impaired cognition, even if people don’t actually have dementia. Those with Parkinson’s disease are at risk of elevated homocysteine because of the drugs they take.

lindylanka 05-24-2013 09:39 AM

Hi Olsen, I believe that high levels of homocysteine are also found in B12 deficiency. Possibly related?

lurkingforacure 05-24-2013 08:10 PM

inflammation marker

I have always believed homocysteine was a marker of inflammation in the body...so you want that number low, in the single digits.

Anytime you get a blood test, I'd get the homocysteine checked. You have to ask for it, it's not included in the standard CBC. Then keep track of your levels, and notice your lifestyle changes, if any. Try to live how you lived when the level was at its lowest.

Homocysteine is very commonly associated with heart attack risk....another good reason to know what your level is and keep it low:)

olsen 05-24-2013 08:34 PM

B 12 deficiency

Hi Lindylanka, Yes, high homocysteine is associated with deficient B 12 levels. Also, high homocysteine levels occur with other "methylation pathway" factors including folic acid, and Vitamin B 6. Vitamin B12 functions as a co factor with the breakdown of folic acid (5-methyl tetrahydrofolate) to react with homocysteine to make methionine. Without this result (making methionine from homocysteine), high levels of homocysteine results.

indigogo 05-24-2013 10:12 PM

Which PD med is associated with the higher levels? The article doesn't specifically say.

olsen 05-25-2013 02:44 AM

Levodopa and high homocysteine levels

Hi Carey, Levodopa therapy is associated with high homocysteine levels. The COMT pathway is involved in the production of homocysteine from the conversion of levodopa. COMT inhibitors decrease this reaction. The increase in homocysteine levels does not occur with dopamine agonists.

(from my notes--do not have the reference)

Plasma total homocysteine depends on folic acid, B6 , B2 and B 12 which work together to support methylation from total homocysteine to methionine. However methylation of levodopa and dopamine by COMT interferes with this process by consuming methyl groups in the transmethylation reactions thereby increasing S-adenosylhomocyteine (SAH) concentrations in tissues which is rapidly converted to homocysteine, as well as significant decreases of SAMe.
Animal studies show levodopa induced hyperhomocysteinemia is consequence of significant O-methylation and that the COMT inhibitors can prevent such elevation of Hcy concentrations by reducing the O-methylation of levodopa.

Findings indicate levodopa induced hyperhomocysteinemia can be caused by competition at site of methylation, rather than by a defieiency of folate or other B vitamins
(I have read levodopa and B 6 should not be taken together, but that B6 is not contraindicated when taking levodopa. There is evidence one should not take too much B6 )

olsen 05-25-2013 10:59 AM

MrsD if you are reading this...

Could you assist in the question of taking supplemental B6 and Levodopa? I have read one should not take these together--though with further reading, think the information is one should not take them together, but one can take B6 1 to 2 hrs before or after levodopa. Any help? thanks, madelyn

butterfly53 05-31-2013 07:13 AM

vit. B6

B6 determines haw quickly is Levodopa absorbed in a body.But this is not a problem if you take it with carbidopa/ Sinamet. Carbidopa prevents this .
Zlatica
PS.IF you take combination Carbidopa-Levodopa/ Sinamet it is OK to take B6.