NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   This just made me happy (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/189048-happy.html)

EricP 05-25-2013 08:51 PM

This just made me happy

I was listening to the news just now and heard the words "Multiple Sclerosis" mentioned. Naturally I whipped around to see what they were on about and glad I did.

Turns out this local woman is training for the Iron Man triathlon and planning a 7 day, 620 mile bicycle ride from sandeigo to san-francisco. She is now almost 50 years old and got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at 48 years old. She just developed foot drop and left side weakness, balance issues and runs, bikes with special braces and one handed brakes on her bike.

Here is something on Google I found about her.. http://cnytriathlon.org/member-profiles/jill-walsh/

This makes me very happy to see, very. She has MS, is almost 50 and is still running, biking, outside, everything.

This gives me great hope and I hope it gives you some too.

I DO plan to write this woman, very soon and perhaps meet someday.:)

EricP 05-25-2013 08:58 PM

Her's a better story.... I'm speechless and happy right now.

MS is not the end folks... http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...rosis_jil.html

EricP 05-25-2013 09:01 PM

Sorry.....effing crying ATM, woe is me lol, but can't help it.

As A fellow cyclist, runner, this is giving me major inspiration

I mean....look at what she wrote..

“If you want to do something, there’s a way to do it,” Walsh said. “It’s not going to be the way you used to do it. It’s not going to be the speed you used to do it. But if you want to be physically active for the sake of being physically active, there’s no reason not to be,” she said.

SallyC 05-25-2013 09:35 PM

I love MS heroes, but not all people with MS can do what she
is able to do. I say go for it. Do what you want to do while
you can. One day at a time.:cool: Enjoy something every day!!

kicker 05-25-2013 10:16 PM

As I am going to be 58, "almost 50" tells me you must be young. Ah, to be almost 50 and younger again! It's the MS, not age that holds me back. :D

Think Grandma Moses.

Natalie8 05-26-2013 01:00 AM

Hope is a good thing. :)

EricP 05-26-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 986767)
As I am going to be 58, "almost 50" tells me you must be young. Ah, to be almost 50 and younger again! It's the MS, not age that holds me back. :D

Think Grandma Moses.

I'm 37.

She appears to be DXed at 47 years old so she's only a few years into it, but still it's impressive.

Yes I realize not all people with MS can do that and I know it comes in a very wide variety of manifestations. I realize how her story puts a false hope about MS though and they fail tell people that this woman is an exception and not all people with MS can do such things and many of them have a hard time getting out of bed alone. Even I notice a difference in my riding ability just from last year. I find myself not as fast, I take more frequents breaks and I pace myself better as to not over do anything. A far cry from the hard charging riding I used to do.

SallyC 05-26-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP (Post 986864)
I'm 37.

She appears to be DXed at 47 years old so she's only a few years into it, but still it's impressive.

Yes I realize not all people with MS can do that and I know it comes in a very wide variety of manifestations. I realize how her story puts a false hope about MS though and they fail tell people that this woman is an exception and not all people with MS can do such things and many of them have a hard time getting out of bed alone. Even I notice a difference in my riding ability just from last year. I find myself not as fast, I take more frequents breaks and I pace myself better as to not over do anything. A far cry from the hard charging riding I used to do.

But you are still doing it, you're still trying. That's the hope
a story like that gives. I'm almost twice your age!! E GADS!!!:eek:
It even gave me a little hope.:D

EricP 05-26-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 986867)
But you are still doing it, you're still trying. That's the hope
a story like that gives. I'm almost twice your age!! E GADS!!!:eek:
It even gave me a little hope.:D

Oh it gave me hope alright. I hope my particular situation doesn't get worse....anything like what I read last night makes everything seem less stressful and makes me feel like doing something.

As of now I am even studying hard about exactly where they are in finding a cure for this crap. I get so tired of reading nothing but how MS works and effects the body, but where are they in finding a cure?
Your immune system cells chomp away at your Myelin....ok.....so with all these years, money and time, smart people....and they can't make those cells stop doing that? It seems kinda fishy to me.

It just seems like the answers are obvious. Cells are attacking our own nerves when they should not be. They mistaken our nerves as "enemies" so they attack it.

I bet my right nut that something in the Myelin attracts the immune cells to attack....like lack of vitamins, our Myelin lacks something and makes it look like a bad virus. This is why I take my Vitamin D religiously and eat right...no soda, no sodium. Plus keep active.

GladysD 05-26-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 986764)
I love MS heroes, but not all people with MS can do what she
is able to do. I say go for it. Do what you want to do while
you can. One day at a time.:cool: Enjoy something every day!!

Know what I really want to do, just for one day?! Be a 'Biker Babe', just once, on the back of a Harley, holding on to some hot dudes waist...now, that would be going for it! :D

But I do say, good for her, for being an Iron Man Triathalete.

One of my professors in college was one!! It's quite the event!!