NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Heat = worst enemy (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/189054-heat-worst-enemy.html)

used2party 05-25-2013 11:47 PM

Heat = worst enemy

Hey everyone!

Been trying to get out more then I have been, must say, a lot harder then it used to be!
Went on a trip with some friends to a warm climate, first time trying to endure the heat.

Never really experienced the problems heat can cause. Flared up a few of my symptoms; lightheaded, blurry vision, fatigued. Even worse was the friends basically not believing me I was suffering, even getting frustrated with me not being able to do the things we planned.
Kinda looked at me like, "You look fine...." Must say, sure made me feel for the first time that MS has limited me.

Not gonna let it bring me down though. Gonna keep trying new things to push my limits to see what I can handle.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any tips for beating the heat. It really affects me but I don't want it to stop me being active and getting out.

Thanks for listening!

marion06095 05-26-2013 02:41 AM

Heat can wipe me out in the blink of an eye. It flares many of my symptoms, and it makes me feel like I'm gonna die. 85F seems to be the cutoff point for me. Any temperature above that makes me go down in a heap.

SallyC 05-26-2013 11:09 AM

I simply can't take any heat whatsoever anymore, so I hibernate
inside my A/C home, all summer long.:( And live in fear that a
storm will knock out my electricity.:eek:

When you're young and active, there are all kinds of helpers out
there to help to keep you cooler, even cooling vests and stuff.

Good luck..:hug:

EricP 05-26-2013 12:12 PM

One of the worst things about MS is not even the symptom, but one of the social aspect of it. Especially in early diagnoses people do appear to function normally. I walk around pretty good I don't have balance issues to bad and never use any canes or anything. I can't sprint or run all that much, but I'm still very mobile.

On the outside some of us look normal, but in the inside people that see us, do not realize how we feel, and try and hide how we feel. Recently I became winded after walking around the large stores for long, so I've been using the store scooters nowadays if I feel like it;., expecially last week when it got darn humid out. I was so embarrassed, because I am young, and look normal...like WTF is wrong with him? he doesn't even have a cast on his leg. Little did they know I felt like a dump in 100 degree weather, my legs were tense and it felt like I had rocks in my shoes and pin pricks that irritated the hell out of me.

So yes I've been there... I've had days when dad wanted to go to the races and I simply didn't feel like it and'or scared I'd be there and have to leave fast due to something.. So I turn down a nice inventation where a young guy like me should of been like "hell yes I'll go!. It makes us look anti social, it turns people off and eventually they don't like to be near you.

They just don't understand how it is, so I can't get mad at them, but it still is really hurtful sometimes... I have a couple of friends now that do not really text me anymore when before they'd be texting me every day.

EricP 05-26-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 986862)
I simply can't take any heat whatsoever anymore, so I hibernate
inside my A/C home, all summer long.:( And live in fear that a
storm will knock out my electricity.:eek:

:hug:

We have a lady here in town with MS that is like that. Sometimes when I ride by in the summer I see her sitting there in the doorway just looking around, people watching.

Quote:

When you're young and active, there are all kinds of helpers out
there to help to keep you cooler, even cooling vests and stuff.

Good luck..:hug:
I'm looking into those vest myself. I'm super stoked about doing some major bike riding this year and one of those cooling vest certainly won't hurt anything. That lady I talked about that runs, says she stuffs her shirt with ice.

Kitty 05-26-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP (Post 986884)
I'm super stoked about doing some major bike riding this year and one of those cooling vest certainly won't hurt anything.

Eric, we have a member here, TXBatman, who participates in all the MS Rides there are in Texas. And we all know how hot that state can get! Here's a link to his profile.....http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/me...?u=9961.....he can probably give you lots of pointers on how to continue riding even with MS.

EricP 05-26-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 986888)
Eric, we have a member here, TXBatman, who participates in all the MS Rides there are in Texas. And we all know how hot that state can get! Here's a link to his profile.....http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/me...?u=9961.....he can probably give you lots of pointers on how to continue riding even with MS.

Thanks, Kitty. I ran into him before on here.

SallyC 05-26-2013 02:55 PM

HaHaHa...I don't people watch...booooring...I play on my
Macbook, watch TV, read on my puter...etc.....

Oh and clean house, once in awhile.

Kitty 05-26-2013 04:09 PM

Sally, I just take off my glasses and poof! nothing looks dirty anymore! :D

NurseNancy 05-26-2013 04:55 PM

i know what you mean. i'm very heat intolerant.
1/2 to 1 degree in body temp can cause a pseudo flare/symptoms (sx's) of MS.
your friends need a bit of education. maybe you could print off an article or 2 about heat and MS. if they're really your friends they will understand.

there are cooling collars that you can find in Walmart for about $5.00. they help to a point. there are cooling vest that various companies sell for about $100 to $200. you could also check out MSAA website. i think they help out also.

the vests really can work but are limited to 4-6 hrs depending on how hot it is outside.

when summer really hits i have to plan my days differently. like grocery shopping early in the am. i just can't do much outside. i get severe muscle weakness, short of breath and very tired.

i hope you can find some relief.