NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/)
-   -   How does climate affect fibromyalgia pain? (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/189416-climate-affect-fibromyalgia-pain.html)

APJH 06-03-2013 12:22 PM

How does climate affect fibromyalgia pain?

Greetings, everyone. I'm 41, was diagnosed last year with idiopathic small fiber peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia, both which I've suffered from for several years. Been actively searching for a cause, but so far... NADA. Doing what I can to manage the pain and stay off meds as much as possible.

I noticed the pain in my feet was far worse during very cold winter days, particularly when it was snowing. Also, the fibro pain was terrible during the 2 years I lived in the (damp) Pacific NW, especially on cold days. Warm weather hasn't eased the pain much, but I definitely feel worse when it's cold.

So, I'm wondering what role climate plays in the effects/pain level of neuropathy and/or fibromyalgia? My husband and I are seriously considering leaving New York City within the next year, mainly due to my illness (even if the climate were ideal, all the walking I must do and many flights of stairs I must climb each day have become much more difficult since I began showing symptoms).

I think a dry, mild climate might be better, but I'm curious about other people's experience with moving to a very different climate and how it affected their pain.

Thanks!
APJH

Dr. Smith 06-04-2013 12:18 AM

Hi APJH,

climate fibromyalgia

climate peripheral neuropathy

For many, it's not so much the climate, but the changes in weather that affect pain & other symptoms the most, so those who live in areas where it can be said, "If you don't like the weather, stick around -- it'll change!" may suffer the effects of climate more. A stable climate with few/mild changes, regardless of climate type (hot/warm, cold, wet, dry) may be less painful than one changing often throughout the seasons/year. (If you find someplace like that, lemme know! ;) )

That said, common advice to retirees/soon-to-be-retirees considering relocating is to rent for a month (or more) during the most inclement season in any prospective destinations before picking up stakes and making a permanent move. I think this is good advice to anyone considering relocating for just about any reason -- especially health reasons. ;) YMMV.

There are also many other criteria/factors (than climate) to be considered in longterm/permanent relocation (e.g. economy, employment, cost of living, access to medical care/services, transportation, education, political climate, quality of life, crime, taxes, more...)

Doc

Dove96 07-31-2013 03:08 PM

Damp

It is not the cold/heat but the damp for me. As long as the humidity is kept down the temperature is fine.
We retired and moved to the area where I grew up 2 years ago.
A one-floor (laundry on the main floor) house and love it.
The climate changed since I grew up here (or the memory has).
I have a "climate control system" installed in the house and it is on most of the year.

Jomar 07-31-2013 04:22 PM

I have myofascial pain/RSI/TOS (some similar sx as with Fibro) and it seems it is the rapid barometric changes that affect me the most.

But generally I do feel better overall during the warmer months..than wintertime.

Brainstemmed 11-07-2013 07:01 AM

big time for me...

so much so that we moved to a tropical island...

seriously...

it made such a huge difference in my life and my overall well being...

i just love it...

it is WARM all the time...

10 degree temp change from overnight low to day time high...

10 degree temp change from winter to summer...

simply wonderful.

Brainstemmed