NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Amitriptyline (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/189517-amitriptyline.html)

mouse1 06-05-2013 09:03 AM

Amitriptyline

Anyone used this and how did they find it?

My doctor is switching me to this medication at 10mg today to replace Cymbalta.

jac3sr 06-05-2013 10:17 AM

Not great for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 989550)
Anyone used this and how did they find it?

My doctor is switching me to this medication at 10mg today to replace Cymbalta.

I was on it for the first two months to help me sleep...which it did, but that was all I felt like doing and it made feel like a zombie. I also had a lot of nightmares.

This was just my experience. I have not taken Cymbalta, so I don't know what the difference would be.

mouse1 06-05-2013 10:38 AM

Cymbalta has been great for mood and pain, but it gave me an upset stomach so I am reluctantly stopping it. I hope Amytriptyline isn't as bad as you say, otherwise I will be asking for an alternative medication because I am 90% better and quite active.

Consider 06-05-2013 11:06 AM

Are you feeling nauseous from the Cymbalta? If so, there are ways around that. Because Paxil gave me an upset stomach, I was put on Remeron as an addon, and I noticed a HUGE difference. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun and stop Cymbalta if it works. Plus since you've only been on it for a short time, the upset stomach may be a side effect that will wean away with time.

NormaW 06-05-2013 11:09 AM

Tried it for 6 weeks

Hi Mouse,

I tried it for 6 weeks (10 mg) to see if it would get rid of my headaches. My headaches are still here so I went off of it. Boy did I sleep. I was probably sleeping 12 hours at night and sometimes a nap in the afternoon.

I actually find the 100 mg of gravol (I think it is 12 hours) helps me sleep and of course deals with the nausea.

Not sure if this is a recommended course of action.....

You can always try and if not go off, I need to start talking something for headaches and depression/anxiety but so many of the drugs have the same side effects as pcs and I have a hard enough time figuring out how I am feeling and why.

Good Luck.

mouse1 06-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consider (Post 989601)
Are you feeling nauseous from the Cymbalta? If so, there are ways around that. Because Paxil gave me an upset stomach, I was put on Remeron as an addon, and I noticed a HUGE difference. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun and stop Cymbalta if it works. Plus since you've only been on it for a short time, the upset stomach may be a side effect that will wean away with time.

I have been thinking the same thing, Cymbalta definately works. I have been working today, cooked dinner for the family and did 2 hours weeding in the garden this evening and I feel fine.

It makes me wonder if it is wise to stop it and replace it with a tablet that might not necessarily stop headaches and makes me sleep.

Diarrhea throughout the morning is the issue, but as you say this could be temporary so I probably will not change things around yet, and I have 4 months scripts for medication.

mouse1 06-05-2013 04:17 PM

I really don't want to stop something that is helping the PCS, so I did a little bit of internet research.

I found out that for some people Cymbalta causes excess stomach acid which leads to diarrhea.

Just gone to get some over the counter remedies for excess stomach acid and I have taken them. Hopefully this will do the trick!

I will therefore be skipping the Amytriptyline tonight.

Mokey 06-05-2013 05:40 PM

I tried it for only a few days and it made me feel like a zombie too. Apparently nortryptilene is less of a zombie drug but similar.

dare2bdifferent 06-05-2013 11:02 PM

I also tried amitriptyline for headaches and insomnia. It didn't alleviate either of these symptoms for me.

berkeleybrain 06-05-2013 11:09 PM

I took it as well. Maybe it was too early after the accident, but I felt very numb and disconnected from myself, my thoughts and feelings. A zombie.

I also found that valium was horrible as well. It didn't provide enough deep, REM sleep. I slept but wasn't rested. A zombie.

I have found propanolol and trazodone work for headache and sleep.

Best of luck!