NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Bad Dreams PCS - Anyone else? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/189663-bad-dreams-pcs-else.html)

jac3sr 06-07-2013 01:00 PM

Bad Dreams PCS - Anyone else?

I originally thought that I was having nightmares due to taking amitriptyline to help me sleep, but I am not taking anything now and I have extremely vivid and generally twisted nightmarish dreams! This has been fairly continuous for the 4 months I have had PCS. I bring it up mainly because I still feel exhausted, like I could sleep for another 8 hours or so, when I wake up. I've tried napping during the day, because I work later in the afternoon into the night, but I have dreams again and still feel mentally fatigued when I go to work.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Maybe its just me and the anxiety/depression is taking its toll. My doctor told me to try taking trazedone, but I'm concerned it will make me even less able to wake up from these terrible dreams when they happen. Not really sure what to do at this point. I am open to suggestions!

DFayesMom 06-07-2013 01:48 PM

Bad dreams

I had some (though not like you) when I was really really depressed. They went away when I started Wellbutrin. Good luck!

berkeleybrain 06-07-2013 11:59 PM

I had been waking up in a panic attack state-sometimes I could remember the vivid dreams, but mostly I was just in a heightened state of fear/flight.

I have been taking trazodone and propanolol. I was on amitrip. before which made me very dazy and zombie like.

I find the trazodone good overall for headaches, and together with the propanolol and L-Tryptophan I am doing better. Now I wake up 1-2 a week vs. 7 in panic.

Best of luck to you-everyone will have different experiences. I suspect my bad dreams/ panic are my unconscious trying to work out my trauma.

Mark in Idaho 06-08-2013 12:31 AM

My dreams change based on how well I am breathing or if I am sleeping with my neck and head in a good posture. I find that it helps if I wake up, I get out of bed and sleep in my recliner or just get a drink of water before trying to go back to sleep.I have had a string of bad nights this past week. No big deal for me. I have lived with this for 12 plus years.

MiaVita2012 06-08-2013 09:25 AM

I Can Relate

I had nightmares but I was told it was more from Post Traumatic Stress disorder.:grouphug:

Brain patch 06-09-2013 10:03 AM

I have experienced this also. To the extreme. I finally started having seizures in my sleep and the neurologist diagnosed me with REM sleep disorder and nocturnal epilepsy. I am told it is common for sleep problems to occur after head trauma. The doctor put me on clonazepam and Ambian at night and it has cleared up the problems. I sleep good now and feel rested in the morning. I don't think I was really getting much real sleep before. Good luck. I know how miserable this nightmare and not feeling rested problem can be.
Brain

jac3sr 06-09-2013 01:40 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

It is good to hear I am not completely alone in this! I have had a seriously weird four or five days. I don't know if it is too much to hope that maybe my brain is making some connections or something and its completely throwing me off? I ended up taking Friday night off work because (I'm assuming) the weird dreams and not getting real rest increased my photophobia.

Still having the weird, twisted dreams, but I guess I am going to get the trazedone filled and see what happens! I've tried to go back to minimal stimulation (except for the computer) and I've just been listening to a book on tape. However, I have several thing to take care of this week...taking my car to get it fixed and providing dmv w/ certain documentations etc...this means I'll need to function a little during the day before going to work.

I know we all have to do this, but it's difficult to limit myself! All I can think about sometimes is swimming laps or going for a run. If I have a good day, these days, I try to go for a walk, but I've never liked walking because it's too slow!! Ugh...I'm being petty and silly I know. My heart aches for the energy and resilience I used to have, and can only HOPE that I'll have again at some point!! I'm rambling now, so I am going to stop!

Thanks!
jac3sr

Mark in Idaho 06-09-2013 05:08 PM

Brain patch, I would question the doctor who said you have 'REM sleep disorder and nocturnal epilepsy.' Duh, these may be terms that can be written in your record but the question should be, What is the underlying cause ?
There is a saying that neuros are good at diagnosing aneurisms, epilepsy and tumors. These can all be imaged. Ask the doctor about something that can not be imaged and you likely get deer in the headlights.

A general idiopathic diagnosis of REM sleep disorder and nocturnal epilepsy only helps if the doctor is going to defer to drugs.

"The doctor put me on clonazepam and Ambian at night and it has cleared up the problems." This would likely be more accurate if it said "The doctor put me on clonazepam and Ambian at night and it has resolved the symptom."

I hope you have been able to move on from the clonazepam and Ambien. They are not good maintenance drugs. Clonazepam makes my Paxil look like a baby aspirin. I was on it for over a year.

I know plenty of TBI subjects who have insomnia but overcome it without drugs. I take gabapentin to help my body sleep without jerking. Without it, I can still use my non-drug techniques to get to sleep but the sleep with include twitching and jerking.

anon22217 06-09-2013 06:56 PM

I have bad dreams and trouble sleeping from the stress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 990804)
Brain patch, I would question the doctor who said you have 'REM sleep disorder and nocturnal epilepsy.' Duh, these may be terms that can be written in your record but the question should be, What is the underlying cause ?
There is a saying that neuros are good at diagnosing aneurisms, epilepsy and tumors. These can all be imaged. Ask the doctor about something that can not be imaged and you likely get deer in the headlights.

A general idiopathic diagnosis of REM sleep disorder and nocturnal epilepsy only helps if the doctor is going to defer to drugs.

"The doctor put me on clonazepam and Ambian at night and it has cleared up the problems." This would likely be more accurate if it said "The doctor put me on clonazepam and Ambian at night and it has resolved the symptom."

I hope you have been able to move on from the clonazepam and Ambien. They are not good maintenance drugs. Clonazepam makes my Paxil look like a baby aspirin. I was on it for over a year.

I know plenty of TBI subjects who have insomnia but overcome it without drugs. I take gabapentin to help my body sleep without jerking. Without it, I can still use my non-drug techniques to get to sleep but the sleep with include twitching and jerking.

Sara J 06-09-2013 06:56 PM

I've had nightmares and trouble sleeping since my concussion 3 weeks ago, waiting for follow up Dr appointment to see what's happening.