NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Mayo clinics (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/189676-mayo-clinics.html)

Geordie 06-07-2013 05:15 PM

Mayo clinics

Hi I am writing this for my dad who's hands are too sore to type tonight.He has an appointment in a few weeks to see a Professor who was trained in neurology at the mayo clinic in Rochester ,MN.
He is very pleased to be getting seen by him
as the mayo clinics get mostly good reviews from any info we can find on the Internet.How do the people on here that have been to a mayo clinic rate their Doctors?

Thanks G

krank 06-07-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geordie (Post 990289)
Hi I am writing this for my dad who's hands are too sore to type tonight.He has an appointment in a few weeks to see a Professor who was trained in neurology at the mayo clinic in Rochester ,MN.
He is very pleased to be getting seen by him
as the mayo clinics get mostly good reviews from any info we can find on the Internet.How do the people on here that have been to a mayo clinic rate their Doctors?

Thanks G

Wow he got in? This is extremely rare from what I know and I've been trying to go down there for 5 years...They stated flat out they were Not seeing chronic pain patients...period...Thats what I have been told..Wow this is not on extraordinary it's amazing...good luck sir I will be praying for you..Maybe they have changed their stance. I admit I haven't tried in the last year..This is GREAT!!!

Geordie 06-07-2013 06:02 PM

Wow are they really that good Krank? He is not going to an actual Mayo clinic but the professor he is going to see was trained in one.I don't think there is any Mayo clinics in the UK.
We are all hoping he can help as I think he is getting worse instead of better.
Keep trying Krank you have nothing to loose hope you are well.

Thanks. G

alaska49 06-07-2013 07:52 PM

Iam not sure about the doctors at the mayo in rochester, I went to the one in Scottsdale AZ, that was when I was looking for a diagnosis and no one there had a clue, I saw 36 specialties but none could diagnose RSD. Then once I was diagnosed with full body and internal I was told they only take patient with RSD in 1-2 limbs. The mayo clinic in AZ the nurses were scary as I went in for a ct scan and while waiting I went into a seizure and instead of the nurses running to help me and my mom they hid behind the desk my mom said they waited 5min before taking me back to a room then called 911 to take me to the hospital. Its just scary cause if they couldnt handle that what if a person had a heart attack. All the doctor even though they didnt know about RSD they were all very nice and welcoming, and not one said I was crazy even without a diagnosis they just said I know your sick just not sure whats wrong.

I have heard though the one in rochester is good and has much finer doctors. I wish your dad luck and that he sees a great doctor that will help him.

Sam

catra121 06-08-2013 12:49 AM

First off...I want to say good luck to your dad. I hope they are able to help him there.

I haven't been myself...was denied an appointment. What I have heard is that generally they are not the place to go for chronic pain conditions. If there are ANY other issues or things that could be contributing to or making the RSD worse then they may be all over those things...but chronic pain is just not their thing. I know at least one person from this forum who told me about an AWFUL experience there. They were able to effectively diagnose and treat several other issues they had but when it came to the RSD it was just a terrible experience and no help whatsoever. I was actually glad to hear this after I was denied the appointment because I felt like I wasn't likely missing out on any great thing.

That said...this was all several years ago. Things can change, the medical field is changing, and chronic pain conditions are just as important to treat as anything else. So don't be discouraged by anything that I said above. The situation could be very different now. Hopefully your dad will see a wonderful doctor who can help him. Good luck!

Geordie 06-08-2013 04:35 AM

Thankyou all for the replies I guess it's worth going and see what happens.We have nothing to lose and will let you know the outcome of his visit.

Thanks G