NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Almost Fell at Grocery Store (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/189689-fell-grocery-store.html)

skywalker1988 06-07-2013 08:21 PM

Almost Fell at Grocery Store

Went to the grocery store today. As I was walking around, I started to feel weird. The best way to describe it in words is almost like trying to black out but still awake. It's like when it happens, I try to shake it off and it goes away for a moment, then happens again. At one point I almost fell down. So I hurried up to get out of there. (I can't drive due to vision, so my grandmother takes me). I felt dizzy and almost trying to black out but it doesn't completely go because I shake it off by shaking my head and refocusing. Does anyone understand/been through this before?

SallyC 06-07-2013 08:42 PM

Yes, I have.

Glad you didn't pass out or fall.

skywalker1988 06-07-2013 09:11 PM

I've been dizzy before but never this bad. Is this a side effect of MS? What to do about it?

EricP 06-07-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skywalker1988 (Post 990325)
Does anyone understand/been through this before?

YAH! I do!:eek:

I actually did fall at home thank god and that was the same day I called mom to tell her something is wrong with me. I was getting those spells for about a year and a half along with other stuff, before I finally stopped being stubborn and went to the doctor. It took that fall to convince me and I tellya it was scary, because we have heart disease in my family big time and I was dead set the fall was about that. I thought I was having a stroke!:eek:

It still happens sometimes, but not that bad and I keep my stick in the car in case I feel I will need to counter act any dizzy or balance spells.
You should get a stick too, do you? you can get a concussion if you fall on the store floor. Thanks god I landed on my rug at home and didn't hit my head!

Good luck, bro.

EricP 06-07-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skywalker1988 (Post 990345)
I've been dizzy before but never this bad. Is this a side effect of MS? What to do about it?

I found this for you....

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...igo/index.aspx

Juniebear 06-07-2013 09:18 PM

I've had something like that. It's like it comes in a huge wave and you feel like you will faint/black out but you snap out of it and still feel 'off' but not as bad, then it'll hit again. :( I've not had it happen in public yet, thank goodness, but I don't go out much anymore.

skywalker1988 06-07-2013 09:21 PM

Only time I leave the house is to go to church or grocery store, and even at that its only 3-4 times a week

EricP 06-07-2013 09:23 PM

I think they put me on some sort of anti nausea med, because I was getting sick from the spinning(my case was severe) I had to have my mom hold me up to get in the car that day from it. I could barely walk that day. I don't know what else they did, but I haven't a severe episode like that sense.

Terrible day it was.... thinking I was having a stroke like my grandmother did.

ewizabeth 06-08-2013 01:26 AM

I've had this at times over the years but it rarely happens anymore. It doesn't mean it will be normal for you. But I know how frightening it can and it doesn't mean it will be the norm for you. It happened more often for me early on when I pushed myself too hard and I didn't know what my limits would be from MS.

karilann 06-08-2013 10:28 AM

I have this too. Caffeine makes it worse. Make sure your blood pressure is okay first....
Doc had me try low dose Ativan for the dizziness and it helped a lot. (.05) I only take it when I go out or drive to the grocery store. Its worked well for me. He had me try it because it doesn't work for everyone. Its a preemptive strike, because it takes awhile for Ativan to kick in. My dizzy level was at very low level and more like a constant off balance but would get a tad worse with excitement......and yes going to the grocery store is excitement. Also for a time, the bright fluorescent lighting in those places bothered me. I would experience the same thing you did, felt as though I was going to pass out with it.

I get it a lot around the house. It acts like low blood pressure so you need to make sure that is not what you are experiencing. I got myself a cheap blood pressure cuff and kept a log for awhile.

Also; are you prone to anxiety or panic attacks?

Hang in there skywalker!!:hug: