NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Home & Garden Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/)
-   -   Wrought iron (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/189752-wrought-iron.html)

Lara 06-09-2013 02:28 PM

Wrought iron

I've got a few projects underway and one of them is to clean up several old black wrought iron candelabra. A couple of them are totally smooth but two are quite rough. I figured I'd clean them well, and maybe have to sand a couple down if that works (haven't tried it yet) and re-paint them white. Has anyone here done this before by some strange chance? :) Am trying to do it as cheaply as possible. I probably should apply a rust inhibitor but not sure I'll bother because of the cost of that product.

Any tips very welcome!

ginnie 06-09-2013 06:26 PM

Hi Lara

I just finished painting and cleaning an old Iron sea grape leaves. It was burried under some plants! I used a Dremal to clean it. Sprayed a good base coat, and it painted just beautifully. Cost was about $5. Love to do these kinds of projects. Hope yours turns out great too. ginnie

Lara 06-09-2013 08:24 PM

Thanks ginnie. :)

The sea grape leaves would have come up nicely.

I wasn't sure what a Dremel was but I looked it up. That would be a very handy little tool to own. Maybe I'll just get some sand paper onto the rough parts until I find something like that.

p.s. I see they sell quite inexpensive mini dremels on ebay australia. Might be worth my while looking at getting one of those eventually.

Thanks again.

ginnie 06-10-2013 09:16 AM

Hi Lara

A good way to use just sandpaper in tight places, is to fix a piece to a pencil with tight rubberbands. Pokes into small places like the Dremal. Roll up a piece and that works too. Hope your project turned out OK. I had green pain, and purple paint. The sean grapes are on my back deck now, looking good. ginnie

Vonn07 08-29-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 990820)
I just finished painting and cleaning an old Iron sea grape leaves. Love to do these kinds of projects.

hey Ginnie ... would you post a pix of your trellis?? I love anything wrought iron ... (less to dust when displayed inside!):p

ginnie 08-29-2013 03:52 PM

Hi Vonn

I am just now learning to do a picture to the PC. I won't forget, won't delete this message. I only did the attachment once, and couldn't do it again when the teacher left. \Heck in my College there wasn't even a PC. Only really been on the thing since I found NT. I am reading PC For Senior dummies. Will get the picture up at some point. Have another lesson the 9th of Sept.
The sea grape leaves were found buried in dirt under a bush. Now hanging up painted on my deck. Currently I am working on a mosaic.
Let me know some of the artsy stuff you do! ginnie:grouphug: