NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   autonomic neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/189869-autonomic-neuropathy.html)

Synnove 06-11-2013 08:11 PM

autonomic neuropathy

I have been diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy.
I had Autonomic reflex testing done ,with the tilt table and sweat test. and it showed autonomic neuropathy. A Gastric Emptying study was positive for gastrophoresis. A Urodynamic test showed Neurogenic bladder. These will all be due to the autonomic neuropathy.
I have other sensory polyneuropathy, I guess all due to vasculitis. At present taking Methotrexate for this.
Does any one know the chances of these nerves to improve and heal?
Thanks.

en bloc 06-11-2013 09:01 PM

Do you have any idea what is causing your neuropathies and vasculitis? Have you been worked up for diabetes or autoimmune disease? What about antibiotics known to be toxins?

There are several medications available for BP & heart problems from AN, as well as gastroparesis.

Does the methotrexate help with your autonomic symptoms?

Whether the nerves will heal all depends on what the cause is? If it's related to diabetes, then controlling your blood sugar may help improve nerve function and ease your symptoms some. At the very least, it would help prevent progression. If it's related to autoimmune disease, like Sjogren's, then damage to the ganglia can be permanent.

Toxic neuropathies may also be improved by removing the toxic and many here have had good results with supplements to help heal the nerves.

So it really comes down to what caused your neuropathy in the first place. If idiopathic, then trying supplements would be a good thing to consider.

Synnove 06-12-2013 07:42 AM

enbloc, the rheumatologist at the Mayo Ckinic told me all the neuropathies were due to the vasculitis.
Regarding the Autonomic neuropathy, that was just diagnosed last week with the autonomic reflex test and Gastric emptyins study. I have to return to my GI doctor,
Regarding the BP, I do not know, but I think the BP was OK during the tilt test.
I do have a lot of dizzyness and balance problems. I just try to be careful..
I was on Toprol for high BP, before, but now it has been low, so it was stopped. I take Lyrica for all the peripheral neuropathy, so perhaps that cause lower BP. I do not know.

I have had tests for diabetes, like 3 hour glucose tolerance test, negative. Fasting sugar is OK. But in 2 weeks I will have HgA1C. But I do not think it is diabetes. Have all other tests. Must be the vasculitis
I do not know if the Methatrexate on all the burning pain symptoms, perhaps because the Lyrica is hiding . But I still have it.
The gastric problem is so that it causes chest tightness for 1 year now.
sslow gastric emptying, constipation and chest tightness. Gastric reflux Take Protonix twice daily
I just found out also during the test, that I do not sweat. And I have noticed that lately. ( I live in Florida, and the weather is hot)
I hope it gets better. They are trying to treat the vasculitis.
IThanks for any input.