NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS people - problems using the bathroom? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/190019-ms-people-using-bathroom.html)

skywalker1988 06-14-2013 02:36 AM

MS people - problems using the bathroom?

Ok so I've never had a problem using the bathroom before until a few days ago. It only happens at night time but I've noticed that I would have to pee and when I went I couldn't use the bathroom. I would just stand there and nothing comes out while I feel the urge to go. It happen a few days ago and then just a an hour ago. Does this happen with MS people or could it be something else?

SallyC 06-14-2013 10:05 AM

Yes it happens with MS. Perhaps your Doc will prescribe a
med to help.

suallg42 06-14-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skywalker1988 (Post 992045)
Ok so I've never had a problem using the bathroom before until a few days ago. It only happens at night time but I've noticed that I would have to pee and when I went I couldn't use the bathroom. I would just stand there and nothing comes out while I feel the urge to go. It happen a few days ago and then just a an hour ago. Does this happen with MS people or could it be something else?

My bathroom "problem" is never knowing when I need to go. My gynecologist performed procedure in which he inserted a "sling" under the urethra and that has helped but only if I remember to go every 2-3 hours. If I forget and get busy...it doesn't do much to help keep my shoes from getting wet. Seems I have little if any feeling in the bladder area.

Bort 06-15-2013 04:00 AM

Yes I have had this problem for years...it's really annoying. Sometimes can't fully empty either. It's really weird but I find sometimes scratching at the base of my spine helps get things moving...wonder what the explanation for that one is.

Lynn 06-15-2013 07:24 AM

Yes, MS can cause all different kinds of bladder problems - having said that, be careful not to assume that MS is the culprit. Go and see a doctor to make sure and see what can be done to help you.

We all fall into the trap of writing things off as MS related and often they aren't - what I thought was an MS bladder ended up being a prolapse that required surgical repair.

Now though, it is MS that causes me problems from time to time - but you need to find out for sure in case it is something else - who knows, it could be something that IS easily fixed.

Good luck

Natalie8 06-15-2013 09:19 PM

What I thought was an MS bladder problem turned out to be side effects from a medication. Lynn is so right. Don't assume it's a MS symptom. See a doctor.

Also, if this is the first time it's happening you should certainly see a doctor. What if it's a urinary tract infection? MS-ers get those a lot. Having difficulty urinating is a classic symptom.

EricP 06-16-2013 09:57 AM

My username tells it all.

I was opposite though....I could go with no problem....and often when I didn't want to go, lol I'm fine now though....I can keep dry 80% of the time.

So yes...get thi looked at....it could be MS or not..... Don't ignore it like I did or it will get worse and you'll get kidney problems if you're not emptying all the way....This is VERY DANGEROUS! Make an appointment soon!...Don't be embarrassed about it and go into great detail of your problem.

SallyC 06-16-2013 11:28 AM

I squeeze my bladder. I'm not sure that works for men??
It's worked so far for me. I used to get many UTIs from not
emptying the bladder, till my old Neuro told me that trick.

Kitty 06-16-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 992596)
I squeeze my bladder.

How is that done? :confused: :o

SallyC 06-16-2013 12:30 PM

Very carefully...LOL!

I lean forward on the potty and push down on my bladder with
the palms of my hands and pushhhh and cough a little, (Re-
member when you were nine months prego and had to cough
& you'd pee?). Sometimes it's easy and sometimes I have to
push hard and more than once.

I've noticed that since I've lost weight and some of my
humungous stomach, I must push harder..:eek::D