NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Do i need to see a neuro optometrist? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/190219-neuro-optometrist.html)

anon22217 06-18-2013 05:32 PM

Do i need to see a neuro optometrist?

Hi everyone! I posted previously that i saw a neurooptamologist and all was clear.

Then i realized that for post traumatic vision its best to ser an optometrist specializing in vision therapy. So i found one and the exam is $200.

The only issue i have is light sensitivity which gets worse with headache. So i would like to ask your opinion if i do necessarily need to see an optometrist for vision therapy? Im just so broke now:( and dont know if i can afford $200 right now:(

Thank you so much

Mark in Idaho 06-18-2013 06:36 PM

I suggest you talk to the optometrist and ask if there is a therapy for your light sensitivity. Increase exposure to bright light by constantly pushing you into brighter and brighter light may not be appropriate right now. But, you need to make this decision based on what the optometrist says.

I wonder which come first. Do you get a head ache from exposure to light then the continued light makes the head ache worse ?

Or, are there other triggers that cause your head aches ?

anon22217 06-18-2013 06:41 PM

Thank you Mark!

The headache comes first then the light sensitivity. But ive noticed actually its getting better.

I have chrinic headaches and chronic light sensitivity. I dont think light is a trigger. When my headaches get worse the light sensitivity gets worse too.

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 993285)
I suggest you talk to the optometrist and ask if there is a therapy for your light sensitivity. Increase exposure to bright light by constantly pushing you into brighter and brighter light may not be appropriate right now. But, you need to make this decision based on what the optometrist says.

I wonder which come first. Do you get a head ache from exposure to light then the continued light makes the head ache worse ?

Or, are there other triggers that cause your head aches ?

DFayesMom 06-19-2013 07:00 AM

Setbacks

I was diagnosed by a neuro op, but I had a setback BECAUSE of my vision therapy. If it feels like you are doing too much, insist on scaling back, and don't do anything that seems to increase your eyestrain. I've suffered two setbacks now because of it. The alternative to vision therapy is waiting and resting, which could take a long time. I had to stop vision therapy to rest and then I will consider light therapy I guess when I've reached an acceptable level of pain.

mouse1 06-19-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehiroko (Post 993287)
Thank you Mark!

The headache comes first then the light sensitivity. But ive noticed actually its getting better.

I have chrinic headaches and chronic light sensitivity. I dont think light is a trigger. When my headaches get worse the light sensitivity gets worse too.

Thank you.

I used to very bad headaches and light/noise sensitivity and this will not stop on its own. Are you taking medication for the headaches? They seem to be migraines possibly if you are getting light sensitivity with headache.

My headaches stopped with Cymbalta mostly, but if not Imigran. If you aren't taking medication to resolve these symptoms you need to give it some thought.

anon22217 06-19-2013 06:24 PM

Thanks for your reply! Why wont the symptoms stop on thier own? Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 993512)
I used to very bad headaches and light/noise sensitivity and this will not stop on its own. Are you taking medication for the headaches? They seem to be migraines possibly if you are getting light sensitivity with headache.

My headaches stopped with Cymbalta mostly, but if not Imigran. If you aren't taking medication to resolve these symptoms you need to give it some thought.

mouse1 06-20-2013 02:18 PM

I am only reflecting on my own experience, the light and noise sensitivity, headaches, fatigue, low mood, hypercusis were solid for about 3 months in my case, they only reduced with a medication called Cymbalta.

I imagine headaches, light sensitivity etc are temporary for most people with PCS, but in my case I needed medicinal help. I still have headaches, fatigue and sore eyes 8 months on, so goodness knows how I would be if I hadn't taken medication.

I had a really tough day at work today, worked 8-6 and drove about 250 miles starting at 7am. The result is a headache tonight that will not go away despite the Cymbalta, but not for much longer because the Imigran I have taken will eradicate it.

So things are going away in my case - but not on their own!