NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Supplements on empty stomach or not? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/190399-supplements-empty-stomach.html)

superstar 06-22-2013 08:08 AM

Supplements on empty stomach or not?

I have now received my:

R-Lipoic Acid 100mg
Benfotiamine 150mg
Jarrow B Right
Acetyl-L-Carnitine 250mg
Methyl B12 5000mcg

I would appreciate any help on what dosage to take and whether it should be on an empty stomach or with food as some of them say either but I want to get the best out of them that I can.

I had been diagnosed with PN from an EMG test but no idea what caused it and just have sunburn type pain on legs but loss of sensation on legs/feet/up to waist but no pain thank goodness.

I really hope the above will repair some of the damage and would appreciate hearing the best way to take them to maximise the results.

Thanks in advance.

mrsD 06-22-2013 09:04 AM

I will put my suggestions in red in this quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstar (Post 994351)
I have now received my:

R-Lipoic Acid 100mg (there are studies suggesting loss of absorption of this with food. So on an empty stomach might be best 100mg a day is usually enough)

Benfotiamine 150mg ( there are studies that say food or not, doesn't matter with this supplement 300mg a day to start, then can reduce to 150 later)

Jarrow B Right (most B vits go best with food-- the B12 in this is quite low anyway, so it does not matter much since you are taking B12 separately anyway--one a day)

Acetyl-L-Carnitine 250mg (may take with food, and food will offset any GI side effects that occur with some people--start at 250mg a day and work up by 250mg a day to 2 grams if needed --you may find lower doses work well, so increase weekly only or every other week)

Methyl B12 5000mcg (this has to be taken on an empty stomach for best absorption --food will block passive absorption in the intestine, but not if intrinsic factor is working properly--one a day and may reduce to 1000mcg after good levels are reached. You can do 5,000mcg twice a week then or 1000mcg daily)

I would appreciate any help on what dosage to take and whether it should be on an empty stomach or with food as some of them say either but I want to get the best out of them that I can.

I had been diagnosed with PN from an EMG test but no idea what caused it and just have sunburn type pain on legs but loss of sensation on legs/feet/up to waist but no pain thank goodness.

I really hope the above will repair some of the damage and would appreciate hearing the best way to take them to maximise the results.

Thanks in advance.

superstar 06-23-2013 06:12 AM

Thank you for the information Mrs. D. I took 300mg of Benfotiamine this morning (I had only been taking 150g) and within 5 minutes my face was burning and bright red, I can only assume it was that as yesterday I just took the smaller dose of all the supplements and was fine and that is the only thing I did differently. Hopefully it will go away soon and I think I will take them as two x 150mg rather than 300mg all in one go in the future.

mrsD 06-23-2013 08:12 AM

You can take 150mg of benfotiamine and not increase it.
The websites about it suggest 600mg a day, and one person came on here once who used 1,200mg.
Because this form is not so quickly excreted, I never recommend more than 300mg and that is only to get you started.

No one here has ever had a side effect from it like that.

It is possible you don't need a high amount or any for that matter, and the thiamine in the B-right might be enough for you.

So one thing you can do is drop it entirely for now, and reintroduce it in a week. See if you get any flushing with 150mg.

The flushing side effect is most common with niacin. There is 25mg of Niacin and 25mg of non flush niacin in that B-right.
Most people will not flush at 25mg but it is possible.
http://www.jarrow.com/product/57/B-Right

If you think the flush is from the B-right, try it every other day instead of daily.

superstar 06-23-2013 11:37 AM

Thank you, I will maybe drop the B Right tomorrow and see if I still get the flush with 150mg of Benfotiamine. I took 150mg of it yesterday and the B Right with no problems which is why I thought maybe it was 300mg of Benfotiamine that did it today. It lasted about 45 minutes and was quite unpleasant.

mrsD 06-23-2013 11:43 AM

That sounds like a niacin flush.... B-right has a good mixture of items and doses. Not very many people flush on 25mg of niacin but some do. I think it is about the best B complex on the market...not too strong and not too weak.

The niacin flush can be blocked with an aspirin taken 1/2 to 3/4 of a hour before the niacin.

But juggling your times or dropping one or the other may help.
Benfotiamine is not linking to flushing and I have read many papers on it. Also if the niacin is the culprit, most people do develop a tolerance to that side effect.