NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Anyone experienced MS after vaccination? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/190479-experienced-ms-vaccination.html)

GirlFromNorway 06-24-2013 08:50 AM

Anyone experienced MS after vaccination?

If so, please list the type of vaccination, how long it took from the time of the immunization to the occurrence of MS symptoms, and what your doctors have said about this (possible alternative medical explanations to the MS).

SallyC 06-24-2013 09:47 AM

Welcome GFNorway..

No vaccinations received here, in conjunction with MS DX.

Kitty 06-24-2013 09:54 AM

I had all the usual vaccinations as a child so who knows what that did to me.

I started having mild MS symptoms in my 20's. I'm 52 now and have full blown MS.

I hear so many different theories about vaccinations and how they affect you. I won't have anymore.....especially the flu or shingles vaccine......but I don't know for sure if the ones I did have had anything to do with me getting MS.

edit to add: I did have Mono when I was 19 and then chicken pox when I was 25. That was horrible.

Erin524 06-24-2013 12:41 PM

In 2006, I had a MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccination about two weeks before I had my first big sensory symptom. My hip went numb. About five months later I developed optic neuritis.

Until I got optic neuritis, I had no idea that it was MS. I'd been told the numb hip was a sprain by a PA, who told me to put heat on it...and she basically yelled at me when I told her that heat made it worse. (accused me of faking it)

After I got ON, a neuro told me that the numb hip was Meralgia Paresthetica...and about 3 or 4 months after that I was diagnosed with MS.

GirlFromNorway 06-24-2013 03:14 PM

Erin54: I'm sorry to hear that. I developed transverse myelitis after MMR vaccination when I was 12. Not sure how similar transverse myelitis is to MS.

What did the doctors say about the vaccination? Do they think it could have caused your MS? Here is a court case about MS after MMR vaccination (the petitioner won) if you are interested: http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/sites/...OE74071310.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 994890)
In 2006, I had a MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccination about two weeks before I had my first big sensory symptom. My hip went numb. About five months later I developed optic neuritis.

Until I got optic neuritis, I had no idea that it was MS. I'd been told the numb hip was a sprain by a PA, who told me to put heat on it...and she basically yelled at me when I told her that heat made it worse. (accused me of faking it)

After I got ON, a neuro told me that the numb hip was Meralgia Paresthetica...and about 3 or 4 months after that I was diagnosed with MS.

Erin524 06-24-2013 06:25 PM

I mentioned the MMR and the numb hip to the doctors that I saw back then. They ignored it.

Jules A 06-24-2013 06:30 PM

No problems here and after diagnosis I had the rabies and hepatitis B series without any change in MS stuff.

SallyC 06-24-2013 06:51 PM

Like my evil twin Kitty, I had a bad case of Mono at 20.
I also had Strep throat at 19. I feel that both may have
triggered MS.

Kitty 06-24-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 994954)
Like my evil twin Kitty, I had a bad case of Mono at 20.
I also had Strep throat at 19. I feel that both may have
triggered MS.

I had Scarlett Fever when I was 5. I remember my Mom telling me about it. Is it called something else today or is it not around anymore?

Bethsca 06-25-2013 01:32 PM

What about shingles?

I had chickenpox when I was a kid and would like to get the shingles vaccination, but I have heard that it can cause problems with MS. Anybody know?