NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Sleep Apnea & Sleep Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/sleep-apnea-and-sleep-disorders/)
-   -   Do you sleep on you back or side or both? (https://www.neurotalk.org/sleep-apnea-and-sleep-disorders/19083-sleep.html)

Pamster 05-07-2007 07:43 AM

Do you sleep on you back or side or both?

I can't toss and turn without waking up. I have sometimes found myself taking the mask off at like 1-3 am and leaving it off. I don't know why, it's like I am half awake and for some reason I 'need' to take a deep breath with my mouth kinda like I'm yawning, and if the nose mask is on it defeats the purpose, so I lift it up and set it onto my forehead. Anyone else with a nose mask need to do this? I think I might look into a full mask next time so I can get over urge to breathe through my mouth. :cool:

Altogether I love this machine and I can definitely tell how much better I feel on the days I managed to make it through the night with the mask on my face. I couldn't do it without that chin strap. That little thing makes my head ache if I strap it too tight, I find that with the headgear too, the velcro closeable straps on the nose mask can easily get too tight, but you don't want it to leak out the sides. So I try to make it just right, and last night it worked out great, not too tight and not too loose. ;)

beckyboo 05-21-2007 08:24 PM

I have a face mask for just the nose that moves when I move. I'm one that can't just fall asleep in one postition. The mask is designed to move according to my movements. The company that they get this through is Respironics Inc. in Murrysville, Pennsylvania. My mask is the Comfort Select.

Becky

Pamster 05-22-2007 07:52 AM

Wow Becky sounds like you have the same mask I have. I love my mask and it is so quiet, sometimes I wake up thinking it's not working but as soon as I lift it I can tell it's still blowing air. I love this mask. I still use the machine too, I know it's not always easy to fall asleep but I have gotten used to it and fall asleep within about half an hour whereas before it would take me anywhere from an hour to two and a half hours of laying there tossing and turning before I could doze off. I just can't say enough good things about this machine. :D

GinaMarie 05-23-2007 11:45 PM

I usually have to sleep on my left side kinda in a fetal position. Tho I CANT sleep on a flat bed. I have to sleep either on a recliner or an adjustable bed raised up AND on my side. lol People would probably flip out if they saw the position I sleep in to NOT wake up in pain (bad back) but if I sleep on a flat bed, Im in pain for DAYS..

Thats what makes having a sleep study for me a challenge. lol Most places dont have adjustable beds. :rolleyes:

Tho I start out on my left side.. I do find myself on my back at times then roll back over.

GM

Pamster 05-24-2007 08:13 AM

Aw, that has to be really hard Gina Marie, I can't imagine the position you're talking about and that it must be so difficult for you to get any rest on a flat bed. That is just got to be really hard to live with. I'm sorry you're unable to find a sleep study provider who can accommodate your needs. Have you looked around even at hospitals? Mine was in a hospital bed but I didn't move it at all, just laid flat. I am lucky I can lay flat and not hurt too badly.

I wish you the best of luck on finding some relief for your pain and sleep needs. :)

Van Coover 10-19-2007 06:35 PM

I sleep on my back and on my side. The poll doesn't account for that.

Van Coover 10-31-2007 07:30 PM

I know some adults that sleep face down.

Isn't that the way we all start sleeping when we are born ?