NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Deer video... very unusual: (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/190936-deer-video-unusual.html)

mrsD 07-04-2013 08:08 AM

Deer video... very unusual:

This is a very unusual sight. Deer tend to herd during the winter,
and then the herd will tend to break up as the does have fawns.

We've never seen a deer "yard" except in books.
this YouTube shows a small deer yard:

But this Yahoo video is very different!
Wait til the end for the surprise ending...

In summer we have seen our few deer --- females chasing males off when they are taking care of fawns. They try to keep the food for themselves since nursing is a dietary stressor.

We've had deer this year in the city in our yard! They are eating my black eyed susan seedlings! This plant, Rudbeckia, is on deer resistant lists, but that is not stopping our city deer! They are all lined up on a bench where I can tend them. Next to them are petunias (which I am keeping in pots to take on vacation)...and they are spared. UpNorth, the deer LOVE petunias.

I have been frustrated by the deer this summer here, as I start many of my plants from seeds and nurse them along..only to be devoured in one night? groan!

Kitty 07-04-2013 11:47 AM

I wonder what scared them? It was kind of cute how they all stopped and looked back like "what was that?".

mrsD 07-04-2013 12:29 PM

It could have been a black cat or a bear. UpNorth the deer are afraid of our black cats. They think they are small bears.

Bears kill deer and eat them. Bears have quite a bit of a scent, so only the scent could have been nearby. But it could have been anything really. Even just a person.

Sparky10 07-04-2013 06:26 PM

Thanks for the great videos, mrsD! Sorry about your flower seedlings. I can relate. Just for fun this spring we put corn out in the front yard for the deer. Got to watch some interesting action. The more aggressive deer would rear up and box each other! Nice-sized herd of maybe a dozen - 15. They really made themselves at home, often sleeping under our bedroom windows.

When my flowers started coming up we stopped the feeding and they eventually went away. We might feed them again this winter just to aggravate the hunters. ;)

Kitty 07-04-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky10 (Post 997478)
We might feed them again this winter just to aggravate the hunters. ;)

YES!! :cool:

mrsD 07-05-2013 05:33 AM

We've seen lots of deer fights over the years. They also make a whooshing sound that is very loud and like a fire extinguisher.

They will swim over to us, in the summer to get the salt block I put out for them. But last 2 summers we didn't have ANY deer. I found out that a woman across the bay was feeding them year round, and she passed away, and the deer left. Those that came to us were her "overflow" ones I guess? Our state now has a law (less enforced in the UP)...against deer feeding because of the
wasting disease occurance, anyway.

Here are some photos from the past...
#1 photo-- our past orange maine coon male cat Roofie.. with our first doe visitor ...she tolerated HIM, and he loved her and loved watching her, but she chased our two black cats at the time mercilessly.

#2 is Jane Doe with Bambi-- the last deer to visit .. the following year we had none.

#3 is Bucky... he was a rare young male who came with his mother. They fought with Jane Doe and her family if they ran into each other. He was very fond of my petunias, and I had to chase him off often.

Sparky10 07-05-2013 03:51 PM

I'd never seen a buck in velvet before moving to Iowa. Nice capture of the young guy!

Here's a lousy pic of the tiniest fawn we've seen near the house. Doesn't look too small because Mom was halfway into the ditch.