NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Numb right cheek (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/191608-numb-cheek.html)

_attic_ 07-18-2013 07:09 AM

Numb right cheek

Hi All

I'm new hear and feeling a little frustrated at the moment.

About 20 years ago I was given a diagnosis of ME. I trundled along with my symptoms or pain, tiredness etc and then a year ago everything got suddenly worse, new symptoms appearing over time, pins and needles, spasms, weakness, vertigo, blurred vision and headaches. Tightness around bottom of ribs.

I had tons of blood tests which were fine and saw a neuro who did some tests on my reflexes and said it was Functional Neurological Disorder and discharged me back to the doctor. I have not had any other tests.

I am on Pregabilin, amitriptyline and Prozac.

My walking is very impaired due to pain and being so dizzy and for the last week I have had a numb patch on my right cheek (cheek bone area) that is constant. I am reluctant to go to the doctor because everything seems to be put down to FND.

Anyone else ehere with FND or can anyone advise on how long I should leave the numb cheek before seeing a doctor?

Thanks for reading

AJ

Dr. Smith 07-18-2013 08:38 AM

Welcome AJ, :Wave-Hello:

This kind of obfuscation by doctors makes me angry :mad: (at them -- not at you! :))

I'm guessing that "ME" stands for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Myalgic Encephalopathy(?) These are alternative names for what many call Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

Quote:

The diagnosis of Functional Neurological Deficit provides an umbrella term for a variety of symptoms of apparent neurological origin but which current models struggle to explain psychologically or organically. Presentation may be similar to a wide range of other neurological conditions from paralysis to weakness. Most neurologists use it as a code for Conversion Disorder in an effort not to offend the patient. Given the controversy over conversion disorder as a real diagnosis the term is most useful in an aetiological neutral sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functio...ogical_deficit
In this day & age, we (patients) need to become proactive in our medical care -- our own patient advocates, watchdogs, and detectives. A possible starting point (if you haven't done so already) might be to research all these terms they're confounding you with.

From what you've said, I don't think these bozos (i.e. these doctors) have a clue what's wrong, and it may be time to consider making a change (finding new doctors that haven't pigeonholed you).

In the meantime, and to answer your question, there are many articles on the web about when to see a doctor. I think the numbness in your cheek warrants at least a call to your doctor/neurologist to report & describe the symptom(s), and ask if s/he wants you to make an appointment.

Best Wishes,

Doc

Snoopy 07-19-2013 01:35 PM

Hi _attic_ and Welcome to NeuroTalk :)

I have found Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) quite interesting, you may not ;) :hug:

If I am reading your post correctly your Neurologist determined you have FND without doing a MRI or other testing? If you are wanting to go through more testing such as a MRI (for peace of mind) talk to your PCP or contact the neuro's office and ask about a MRI or other testing. These tests may or may not show anything.

Any vision problem should be evaluated by a Optometrist or Opthamologist. The eyes are their specialty.

Information about FND:
http://www.neurosymptoms.org/

Darlene 07-20-2013 12:29 AM

Nice to meet you!!

AJ,

:Wave-Hello: It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Please keep us up to date on your condition. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

_attic_ 08-06-2013 11:20 AM

Thank you

I did go to the doctor about the numbness is my cheek, he made sure it was not anything nasty and then said he has no idea what is causing it and that we will wait and see what happens.

It has been a month now and the numbness is still there, not really sure what we are waiting and seeing about.

Ho hum, hope everyone is as well as can be expected.

AJ

Dr. Smith 08-07-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _attic_ (Post 1005227)
I did go to the doctor about the numbness is my cheek, he made sure it was not anything nasty and then said he has no idea what is causing it and that we will wait and see what happens.

It has been a month now and the numbness is still there, not really sure what we are waiting and seeing about.

Generally, they're waiting for any changes of any kind -- possibly something more to go on.

Doc