NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Non Medicine Pain Management Techniques (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/192049-medicine-pain-management-techniques.html)

tkrik 07-29-2013 11:22 AM

Non Medicine Pain Management Techniques

Pain management has come up in a few threads lately and I thought that if we shared some non-medicine pain management techniques that we use it will be helpful to others. It also can help those of us whose need a new distraction as sometimes the old ones don't work as well and we need something new.

Here are some of mine:

1. Draw. I pick up my sketchbook and try to draw the most detailed drawing I can come up with. Most of mine are just designs, nothing realistic at all. I can get so involved in it that I forget about the pain.

2. Read. If the pain is more mild, picking up a book helps me as it can pull me in to another world and the pain doesn't seem so bad. I am not able to read when the pain is more moderate.

3. Journal. I write. I write out how I am feeling both emotionally and pain wise. It helps to just let it all out. I have a Dear God journal as this is a form of prayer for me. Many times, I feel so much better after I write my letter to God in my journal. The pain may not be 100% better but the emotions and tension are. For me it works well.

4. Phone. I call someone. Sometimes hearing someones voice can help reduce the pain. A lot of times, I don't want to talk about being in pain and just listen to the other person talk about things in their life. I can only do this in mild to moderate pain. After that point, I don't feel like talking. I have called another MSer when the pain was really bad. It was good to talk to someone who understands.

What are some techniques you guys use?

Snoopy 07-29-2013 11:42 AM

What a great idea, tkrik :)

I have found distraction to be the most helpful. When I am tuned in and stay very aware of my pain it seems to intensify and not leave me alone.

Music - I "feel" music internally :rolleyes: If I allow the music and lyrics to be my main focus the pain, at the very least, becomes secondary.

Exercise - I have found this to be helpful for some types of pain.

Mindful Meditation :)

Talking to my African Violets :eek: ;)

Playing with my dog.

Reading.

Going for a drive.

Going shopping :eek: That includes when my legs hurt :eek:

SallyC 07-29-2013 12:06 PM

Thanks Trish and snoopy. Good techniques.:hug:

tkrik 07-29-2013 12:20 PM

Good ones Snoopy! Music is a good relaxer too. I have to listen to the right kind when I am in pain. It can't be just anything. I have a Pandora account and your suggestion made me think that I should create a "pain" playlist with all the music that helps me through the pain.

Exercise is good too. Sometimes I get up and just pace. I do a lot pacing and have always been a pacer when I am in pain. For some reason it seems to help. And, while I am pacing, I sing songs in my head.

Talking to your African violet is good for both of you. I have one plant and it was given to me when my Dad died. I talk to it as if it were my Dad.

I also take a warm shower or Epsom salt bath (if I can get in and out of the tub and I have someone here to help if needed). Those really help to relax me as well as relaxing the muscles some.

Snoopy 07-29-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 1003329)
I have one plant and it was given to me when my Dad died. I talk to it as if it were my Dad.

:hug: :Heart: