NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   The new kid on the block (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/192309-kid-block.html)

12stargate 08-03-2013 08:36 PM

The new kid on the block

I am still the new kid on the block and somewhat shy and self-conscious.
The other day I copied and pasted an article about PD and pestisides. You all probably read it years ago. Sorrry.
Is it true that red or white wine can slow the shakes down temporarily?
I hope you are all having a good day.
In loving kindness, Eva:)

lurkingforacure 08-03-2013 10:56 PM

not for us

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12stargate (Post 1004625)
The other day I copied and pasted an article about PD and pestisides. You all probably read it years ago. Sorrry.

This does not help us, unfortunately. One thing I read many years ago was that a "poor man's" test to see if you had PD or not was if your tremor went away when you had some wine, it was probably not PD but maybe essential tremor....if you still had the tremor after having some wine, it was probably PD.

Either way, alcohol in any form does not help our PD, maybe others have a different experience?

NorCalGal 08-05-2013 01:47 PM

And for me sometimes a cigarette faciltates better drug results....I mean dystonia is resolved. I've mentioned this to my various medical providers and they say "well "they" say smoking will calm you down but it's not really a good solution" I wasn't tense to begin with...the dystonia just comes and goes all willy nilly. I know smoking is not good for me but if my feet feel like they are turning inside out and a ciggie helps straighten out my toes I'm going to burn one.

Heart2Heart 08-05-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12stargate (Post 1004625)

Thanks for posting and sharing about what helps. We all need to help each other.

Bogusia 08-05-2013 03:25 PM

The tremor in my left hand goes away or is less when I have some wine but it also makes my left hand move much slower, my arm still doesn't swing, I still shuffle my left leg and on top of that there is increased sweating.

Tupelo3 08-05-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogusia (Post 1005028)
The tremor in my left hand goes away or is less when I have some wine but it also makes my left hand move much slower, my arm still doesn't swing, I still shuffle my left leg and on top of that there is increased sweating.

I find my tremor (left hand) is definitely worse when I am stressed, nervous, or have adrenaline flowing. So, I notice an improvement when I have a glass of wine and relax. Or, maybe it's just that after a few glasses of a good Red I don't notice it as much or really care anymore.........

12stargate 08-05-2013 04:51 PM

Hi Tupelo3;
Thanks for your response.
It probably is that after some Red, we really don't care so much.
That is not so bad to get some relief for a little while.
As long as we know realistically that the relief is temporary:)

Tupelo3 08-05-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12stargate (Post 1005047)

As long as we know realistically that the relief is temporary:)

Yes, sadly it does come back. But, you deal with it and move on. Actually, my best relief from the tremor is with hard exercise. At first, when I finish working out, it gets worse, probably from all of the adrenaline. But then, about an hour later, it will go away completely for several hours.

12stargate 08-05-2013 05:40 PM

When you say hard work out, do you mean cardio or weightlifting?

Tupelo3 08-05-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12stargate (Post 1005057)
When you say hard work out, do you mean cardio or weightlifting?

I believe the research has shown that almost any type of vigorous workout is good for your PD symptoms. For me, its various forms of cardio (treadmill, elliptical, bike); Tai Chi; Chi Cong (Qigong) breathing, stretching and balance exercises; and lots of walking. I only do light weights. However, I think dance, boxing, bicycle, etc. would be just as good. You just have to stick with it as a consistent routine. The old "use it or lose it".