NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Hand pain, after weakness (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/192948-hand-pain-weakness.html)

Anacrusis 08-18-2013 09:38 AM

Hand pain, after weakness

2 Attachment(s)
I had a flare up in the summer which affected most myasthenic muscle sets.

I had over a month of weak grip, trouble undoing bottle tops and peeling vegetables. Hands were exhausting quickly with simple tasks.

Now they are actually better but I have pain which is unusual. Sometimes lightning pain down the wrists in a line as in the first picture. Mostly sharp fleeting pains rather than constant dull pain.

Anyone else had anything like that? It is very unusual for me to have any pain.

Thanks much and take care....

Anacrusis

southblues 08-18-2013 12:02 PM

I was having tremendous arm pain, but it was up higher. I finally figured out that I was using my arms to pull up on things since my legs are so weak and I was straining my arm. I am careful not to injure it now and it is better.

I wonder if it could just be that you are using muscles excessively to make up for the weak ones like I was.

Anacrusis 08-19-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 1008062)
I was having tremendous arm pain, but it was up higher. I finally figured out that I was using my arms to pull up on things since my legs are so weak and I was straining my arm. I am careful not to injure it now and it is better.

I wonder if it could just be that you are using muscles excessively to make up for the weak ones like I was.

Hi Celeste :)

I am glad you figured that all out. How we use muscles to compensate for other muscles most affected by fatigable weakness sounds like an interesting topic of study!

I noticed it was symmetrical even though I mostly use one hand a lot. Iīve had recurring symmetrical trigger fingers and operations for them both. Itīs more like a lightning toothache pain but in the hands. I saw that it was in the median, ulnar, and radial nerve areas but I donīt think I have peripheral neuropathy.

But for sure during a flare up of myasthenic weakness I would say I used my hands over-excessively doing very normal tasks whilst relaxing on holiday.

Thanks,

Take care!

Anacrusis

southblues 08-19-2013 06:24 PM

Whatever it is, I hope it gets better.

slashman48 08-19-2013 08:07 PM

Have the same pain in basically the same area but in my right hand. Also right forearm & bicep. Always using my arms because my legs are so weak, especially climbing into the loader & bobcat at work.

cait24 08-19-2013 08:17 PM

I have pain all over as well and I am sure it is from the muscle not working right and trying to compensate. The worst is my right hip. Sometimes when it is so hard getting up from the chair, it feels like the muscles and tendons are slipping around and like the hip almost dislocates. They xray it and nothing showed. Same type of slipping around in the knees and ankle.

It can range from a dull ache to a sharp pain.

kathie