NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Computer Issues: Hope? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/193140-computer-issues-hope.html)

teaaquinn 08-22-2013 10:28 AM

Computer Issues: Hope?

Using the computer makes my symptoms worse. Has anyone else had trouble with this and improved or gotten better in time? This is especially discouraging for me as i am an Audio Production major and 85% of our work is done on a computer. Any advice or stories of hope would be much appreciated...Thanks

justbreathe 08-22-2013 12:34 PM

I'm new here, so I'm not sure I should reply, but here goes.

I looked and your concussion was about 2 months ago? Is that correct?

I sustained mine in dec 2012 and I had trouble with computers for quite a while, but am much more able to handle them now. Too much may still slightly bother me, and movies with a lot of action are difficult, but basic computer work has gotten much easier and has been much easier for a couple of months at least, probably longer.

Mark in Idaho 08-22-2013 11:43 PM

teaaquinn,

You likely need to pace your activities so you have mental energy to apply to your coursework. Stay off your smartphone, limit other audio and visual stimulation. Save that brain energy for your studies.

Read the Vitamins sticky at the top. It has foods you need to avoid. No energy drinks.

Your brain needs quiet rest to heal. If you push it, it will only take longer to heal.

xanadu00 08-23-2013 01:17 PM

Check out this older thread. I posted a number of tips here:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread163832.html

Mokey 08-24-2013 10:13 AM

I could not use the computer for over a year. A major breakthrough was getting prisms and blueblocker tint in my glasses. Still can't do much without a break (45 min is max!). I write and research on the computer....used to do up to 15 hrs a day at my busiest times. At least there is improvement.

Have you had your vision checked by a neuro opthamologist?

poetrymom 08-24-2013 01:17 PM

Screens

There are so many screens in our lives now.

I am having a tired day so I will keep this ultra brief.

Try to limit your computer time. Really limit it!!

I have just installed flu.x on my computer which will help with that blue color at night.

But since I am tired today, my eyes are bleary and I need to get off this computer and this screen.

Take care and take care of your brain.

God bless you,

pm

teaaquinn 08-30-2013 05:29 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am thankful for this forum and all the people that help out.

OwlinFL84 08-30-2013 09:18 AM

I have no issues using a computer, but movies are waaay too much for me. I try to follow along and get hopelessly lost between the dialog and the action. I find reading (whether a book or on the computer) very relaxing so I just keep at it.

Do what feels right. Don't do what feels wrong.

Wndswptlady 08-31-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teaaquinn (Post 1009123)
Using the computer makes my symptoms worse. Has anyone else had trouble with this and improved or gotten better in time? This is especially discouraging for me as i am an Audio Production major and 85% of our work is done on a computer. Any advice or stories of hope would be much appreciated...Thanks

Hi
My concussion was 3 months ago and being on the computer makes my headaches worse too. i can only spend about 30 minutes a day on the computer. I too am hoping that this changes as about 90 percent of what I do is on the computer.

Wndswptlady 09-01-2013 11:23 AM

Yes! Movies are very difficult to follow. I tried to watch "The Rock" recently and left the room holding my head. Much to much fast action and noise! (I had seen this movie quite sometime before without issue).

I feel like a wuss sometimes having to leave, but I need to just get over that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlinFL84 (Post 1011256)
I have no issues using a computer, but movies are waaay too much for me. I try to follow along and get hopelessly lost between the dialog and the action. I find reading (whether a book or on the computer) very relaxing so I just keep at it.

Do what feels right. Don't do what feels wrong.