NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Vitamin Defiency (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/193483-vitamin-defiency.html)

SunnyWalk78 08-30-2013 09:34 AM

Vitamin Defiency

Hello,
I'm new here and found this site while resaerching for answers to my issues. I'm currently seeing my 3rd neurologists and after many years of testing and different Dr's I finally found one that has done something no other has done...HE ORDERED BLOOD WORK.

Found out I was Deficient in Vitamin D and very low in Vitamin B (285) I actually have to go back next week and get tested for Homocysteine and Methylmalonic Acid to double check my Vitamin B. I'm really hoping this will be the start of explaining my nerve issues as far as my left wrist and right damaged peroneal nerve. When my neurologists said my nerve damage could be from vitamin defiency I would have never thought something like that could happen. Don't know for sure if it's the case and I must admit my fears are extremely elevated and my anxiety has slightly taken over.

After researching Vitamin B deficiency I've had several Ahh Hah moments, for instance people who have been diagnosed with H-pylori and the ulcers that come with it are at risk for Vitamin B deficiency...WELL THAT WOULD BE ME.

Also I was getting Vitamin B injections starting 11/2011 through 06/2012 once sometimes twice a month as part of a weight loss program I was on. So if I tested at 285 this month does that seem pretty low for somone who had been getting injections??? Can the levels fall that fast?? Has anyone experienced nerve damage in their wrist and foot/leg from this deficiency?

I had surgery on my elbow 02/2013 and the Dr said I had two trapped nerves, I'm so lost as to why my hand still has not healed after the nerves have been released and now peroneal damage in my right leg causing a funny walk?

glenntaj 08-31-2013 06:47 AM

I'm assuming--

--if you're talking about getting homocysteine and methylomaic acid tests, that you are talking abut Vitamin B12 (cobalamin). And 285 is a rather low level.

Deficiencies in B12 do make the concentrations of those substances rise, and are often a better predictor of frank B12 deficiency than just having serum B12 levels done.

There are a lot of reasons B12 can be deficient. Vegetarians do have problems getting enough B12, as it only comes in food from animal products. Some people have a genetic tendency to underproduce intrinsic factor in the stomach, which is how B12 is broken out of protein-containing foods, or have genetic difficulties with their methylation chemistry (B12 has to be methylated before being used, which is why many of us who supplement use the already-methylated methylcobalamin form).

But yes, low B12 can cause all sorts of neurologic and other problems. If you haven't already, you should definitely look at our very long B12 refeence thread:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html\

Can you give us more history?

Dr. Smith 08-31-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenntaj (Post 1011443)

For some reason, that link contains an extraneous final character (\) and doesn't work (on my browser).

The Vitamin B12 Thread:

Doc

glenntaj 09-01-2013 06:49 AM

Hmn.

Wonder if my computer--or my wandering fingers--inadvertantly added that. Thanks.

Dr. Smith 09-02-2013 11:42 AM

Ghosts in the machine...

Doc

SunnyWalk78 09-03-2013 07:21 AM

That B-12 forum had tons of information, thank you. Curious to see what my lab work shows when I test this weekend. My Dr gave my 5 vitamin b injections before he decided on the homocysteine and methylomaic acid tests. It's been about 3 weeks before my last injection so I really hope that doesn't mess my lab work up.

osmium489 09-25-2013 09:35 AM

Yea B-12 vitamins are essential on a vegetarian diet.